Jan 29, 2010
Eagle, Idaho
First Name
Gary
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1959
My doors on my wagon have a large gap and are very loose fitting at the door pillar(non hinge side). My other problem is that I can only open the driver's door from the inside. The service manual doesn't have much information or any diagrams.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Where can I get door parts?
Is there a diagram of how the parts in the mechanism fit together?

Thanks for any help. Gary

I would have to agree on the service manual details not much detail anyway you can git handles and whatnot from any of our forum sponsors I got mine from Walcks, Carls a great guy to do business with, they where used but in good shape you can also git new ones for a little more money. Carl sent me a picture (thru email) of the window parts could probadly do the same for the doors call and ask if nothin else. Good luck maybe somebody smarter then me in here can heip a little better. :D

idahowagon said:
My doors on my wagon have a large gap and are very loose fitting at the door pillar(non hinge side). My other problem is that I can only open the driver's door from the inside. The service manual doesn't have much information or any diagrams.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Where can I get door parts?
Is there a diagram of how the parts in the mechanism fit together?

Thanks for any help. Gary

Gary-

I bought a used handle on ebay to replace one of mine. The trigger was broken on my original. The used handle I got was in ok shape, but it had enough wear in the trigger mechanism that it wouldn't open the door...

When you pull the trigger, it pushes a little cam lever out inside the door, making contact with a lever on the latch. The issue with the used handle that I got was that the cam lever was worn down, and the trigger hinge was also worn down, so that the cam lever would not push out far enough to connect with the latch. To fix it, I added a small machine screw/nut to the face of the cam lever, which increased it's throw enough to hit the latch. It works pretty good, but not perfect...

I'll see if I can get a picture of the old handle so you can see the parts that wear.

Pete

Would follow some directions given by Pete for Door handle/latch issue.

For the adjustment on the door for fitment on the rear edge they will need to be made with the hinges on the door side.
Remove inner panel if in place, loosen the 6 phillips screws that attach hinges to the door and adjust back accordingly, tighten, recheck.

The door side of the hinge mounts have a metal plate in the door that the screws secure to that has some play for adjustment.

Hopefully that helps.

Learned all that from taking mine apart.

Eric

Back