How about electric power steering?

jfcroni

Precision Fit
First Name
Jim
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Did you get out for a test ride yet Gary? Any more feedback on your project?

duke94

Precision Fit
All-Star
First Name
Gary
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
OK guys, I took her out for the first time today and life is good! Steers just like it has power steering. The amount of boost can be controlled by the potentiometer I installed on the dash. I didn’t venture too far from home but made lots of turns and it works well. I didn’t notice any tendency for it to try and turn the wheel without any driver input. The steering on a Willys is so slow, I doubt very much if you could beat the system with a fast turn. I turned the key off while driving and the system reverted back to the stock manual steering.

On the down side, I noticed that the steering wheel does not want to come back to center on its own. It wasn’t that great before the install, and the internal drag of the power unit didn’t help. I’ll tinker with a couple more degrees of Caster and see what it does. I know Jeep CJ’s like 6-8* and the Willys is only at 3*.

A few comments:

> I would consider this a Universal kit since it was more than just bolting on parts. But I knew that going in, since no direct fit kit was available. Just remember to “measure twice and cut once”.

> Instructions were minimal but more than adequate for anyone with mechanical skills.

> Wiring was plug and play. Hot wire, ground and a wire to the run side of the ignition switch.

> Welding of the adapters on each end of the power unit is required. My local welder did it for 20 bucks.

> It would have been nice to get a labeled bezel for the potentiometer so you know which way to turn it for increase/decrease boost.

> The one negative I had and it’s minor to me, is that the shaft through the power unit is solid so I can’t get the horn wire up to the steering wheel. Guess I’ll just add a button on the side of the column.

> The customer service from Jenee' Wieland at EPAS Performance was excellent. She even answered my (our) questions on the weekends.

> It took me 15-20 hours to do the complete installation, but I cleaned up a few other things along the way.

Conclusion: System works as advertised. I should have done it long ago. I highly recommend it.

So there you have it, one down……WHO'S NEXT?

Gary