How about electric power steering?

jfcroni

Precision Fit
First Name
Jim
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Looking good Gary. Very nice job with the planning. This will really help any of us that want to follow your lead on this.

Bill Kuran

Precision Fit
All-Star
First Name
Bill
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Nice - looks like you have 36" plotter, or you are an expert draftsman! Printing, line width, arrow head uniformity, etc.

About cutting the shaft: When working as an apprentice machinist, the journeyman I was working with said to me; "You cut it twice, and it is still too short." I never forgot that.

duke94

Well Oiled
First Name
Gary
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
Nice - looks like you have 36" plotter, or you are an expert draftsman! Printing, line width, arrow head uniformity, etc.

About cutting the shaft: When working as an apprentice machinist, the journeyman I was working with said to me; "You cut it twice, and it is still too short." I never forgot that.
Yes, I've measured numerous times, made a CAD layout, printed it full size then used another tube and a pipe cut to my CAD dimensions. Was a little off on a couple, but corrected it as I went along. I'm committed now, I've cut the shaft..... hopefully to the right length.

duke94

Well Oiled
First Name
Gary
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
Got the nerve racking part done....cutting the column! Roughly fitted in and I think it fits pretty good. Doesn't get in the way of the pedals and not as noticeable as first thought. I have to take the shafts over to my local welder next week to get the adapters welded to the shafts. So far so good. P1070280.JPG P1070282.JPG P1070283.JPG

Last edited:

jfcroni

Precision Fit
First Name
Jim
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Wow, I can't wait for your review on this. Do you have an alternator... or will the Generator be OK with this.... I think I'll be next to do this.

duke94

Well Oiled
First Name
Gary
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
Wow, I can't wait for you review on this. Do you have an alternator... or will the Generator be OK with this.... I think I'll be next to do this.
I have an alternator. GM 10SI should have enough power (63 AMPs)

duke94

Well Oiled
First Name
Gary
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
Column is off to the welder to weld on the adapters so started on wiring. Mounted the control module on top of the steering column brace. Ran dedicated power leads through the fire to a circuit breaker on the inner fender and a battery ground. Still need to find an ignition hot terminal. I did make a wiring diagram when I rewired the dash. P1070285_LI.jpg

jfcroni

Precision Fit
First Name
Jim
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Column is off to the welder to weld on the adapters so started on wiring. Mounted the control module on top of the steering column brace. Ran dedicated power leads through the fire to a circuit breaker on the inner fender and a battery ground. Still need to find an ignition hot terminal. I did make a wiring diagram when I rewired the dash. View attachment 57787
Is the welding required or are you doing for safety? Welding on the double D? Are the couplers steel?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

duke94

Well Oiled
First Name
Gary
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
Is the welding required or are you doing for safety? Welding on the double D? Are the couplers steel?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Since the steering shaft is hollow, there are no double D's. The upper cut off part of the shaft (steering wheel attaches to it) needs to be welded to the input side of the motor. On the output side of the motor there is a spline joint that gets welded to the shaft coming up from the Ross box.

P1070245_LI.jpg P1070271_LI.jpg

duke94

Well Oiled
First Name
Gary
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
Got the parts back from the welder. Came out A-OK. Installed it back in the truck to fab a bracket for the motor. Made a strap to go from one of the motor bolts to the column brace. Connected up the steering linkage and slipped on the steering wheel. With no power to the unit, you can't even tell it's there. I have the wheels off and it turns easy, so I'd say it is safe if an electrical part fails. P1070288.JPG P1070294.JPG P1070295.JPG

duke94

Well Oiled
First Name
Gary
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
Success!!!! Got it all installed and hooked up and to my surprise, it works as advertised. With the wheels on the ground and the power on, the steering wheel is easy to turn without moving. The unit makes no noise and nothing smoked. Don't know how it actually drives since it's still winter here in Michigan (see photo out my garage window) but first chance I get I'll take it around the block. Will report back when that happens. Well worth the effort so far, and nothing to drip on the floor! In total, I probably have 12-14 hours in the installation, not counting the CAD work. P1070300.JPG

nobling

Bigger Hammer
First Name
Yellow
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
Success!!!! Got it all installed and hooked up and to my surprise, it works as advertised. With the wheels on the ground and the power on, the steering wheel is easy to turn without moving. The unit makes no noise and nothing smoked. Don't know how it actually drives since it's still winter here in Michigan (see photo out my garage window) but first chance I get I'll take it around the block. Will report back when that happens. Well worth the effort so far, and nothing to drip on the floor! In total, I probably have 12-14 hours in the installation, not counting the CAD work. View attachment 57868
Thanks for taking one for the team. Well done!