Hood ornaments

BioTex

Sharpest Tool
Nov 15, 2009
Alpine, TX
Willys Model
Willys Year:
My understanding on the hood ornaments is this:
50½ - 64 trucks use the 2 Wing with a cast insert that has a W inside a circle.
My hood has the factory hole drilled in it so it mounts a 3 Wing with insert.
Does that mean I have a hood off a wagon? Did any model truck use a 3 wing ornament?

I have one ornament that fits a 46 - 50, and one that has 3 Wings.
Seems like I'm supposed to have a 2 Wing ornament.

Since my hood had a 3 wing ornament, can I simply put on a 2 wing, and just fill the extra hole?

Bio,
My wagon is a 54. It has a three wing nose piece. I know it's correct for this year & model for a few reasons. The hole for the center of the piece is elongated per factory, the hood has the straight stainless molding that matches the cowl molding for that year and the literature I "had" showed it correct for that year wagon.
For all of these trucks / wagons...I don't know if the nose pieces were specific to year, model, or both. I'm thinking both, but can't swear to it.
Steve

I have heard some say that the 3 wing was factory installed on trucks, and some say it was not. My hood came off a wagon I have determined, because of the extra hole. I'm believing the trucks only had the 2 wing.
Anyone out there have a truck with a 3 wing that they believe to be OEM?
Also, I have a beautiful 46 to 50 ornament #664605 that Willys America sells for $275, I'll trade it for a 2 or 3 wing in usable condition.

Attachments

• Chrome-piece-001.jpg
    Chrome-piece-001.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 80
Back