Help planning my build

phsarge

Sharpest Tool
All-Star
Jun 15, 2010
Montana
Willys Model
Willys Year:
OK so I am new and just got my first Willys. I also came across extra parts that look almost new cheap. I am looking for advice on what might be the best way to go and how to proceed. The vehicle is a 51 Willys Wagon 4 door. I know its rare so I want to keep it as close to a willys as possible. I am not sure on what the engine is but it is the four cylinder that looks like it has a valve cover. I also have the inline six that I enclosed pictures. I was told it was a hurricane six but am not sure where to look. I would like to put the six into the wagon I am not sure how diffocult this is and if there is any articles on how to do the swap. Other items I am looking at are trying to lift it and doing a disc brake upgrade. I have a winch for the front of it as well. So I am looking for ideas on what to do with the wagon and where I can find information on doing the swap. I am posting a picture of the truck and extra parts. Any help and Ideas would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks
Jeff

Attachments

• km.jpg
    km.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 122
  • km.jpg
    km.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 122
  • Willys Jeep 002.jpg
    Willys Jeep 002.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 122
  • Willys Jeep 005.jpg
    Willys Jeep 005.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 121
  • Willys Jeep 006.jpg
    Willys Jeep 006.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 121
  • Willys Jeep 007.jpg
    Willys Jeep 007.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 121
  • Willys Jeep 008.jpg
    Willys Jeep 008.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 121
  • Willys Jeep 009.jpg
    Willys Jeep 009.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 121

Eric B

Precision Fit
Nov 27, 2009
Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Eric
Willys Model
  1. Other
Willys Year:
  1. Other
Jeff,
Welcome to the forum.
That is a unique ride you got there. If it's a dana 25 front axle the disc brake conversion is do-able, the engine looks like a 6 cylinder hurricane from what I have seen of them. Otherwise you got some great parts hanging around waiting to get back together.

cnsay

Well Oiled
Jun 20, 2010
North Idaho
First Name
Chris
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
That's a beauty. Pretty rare with the four door option. Not sure what motor you have in there now without a picture, the original four would have been a flat head. If your motor is newer it may have similar power to the flathead six and who knows if the original bellhousing was used or if you would need to get one.

Rancho makes a 2 1/2 inch lift spring set, but they are stiffer and ride rough. Only maker of lift springs I know of.

Other than that the body looks really good in the pic, a paint job and people will be looking whenever you go by. Welcome to the Willys club.

62 OlllO

Well Oiled
Oct 19, 2009
Georgia
First Name
Kevin
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1962
Ok....you got me "hook....line...and sinker" I want it, don't do anything to it, I'll come and get it....this way you won't have to worry about what to do with it.....SWEET FIND!!!...... call me anytime

phsarge

Sharpest Tool
All-Star
Jun 15, 2010
Montana
Willys Model
Willys Year:
From what I found this is what the engine looks like that is in it. Would this be worth keeping in it or should I rebuild the 6 and use it? The whole truck is complete and has the usual rust around the wheelwells and the rear door area. As for the front axle I won't know till I canget it back to thehouse and that has to wait because the only car trailor I can get is a fifth wheel and I have to get my neighbors powerstroke running to borrow it. All the parts I posted pictures from are from a 51 2 door that I found locally and will be getting back to the house soon. What you see in the pictures is the way they sit now and I can't find any rust on them. There is also some trim and stuff there once I get it figured out what I need from the lot I will post what i have excess to sell or trade parts to people who may need them. If I could get ahold of the Hi-rail equpment I would pretty much return it to stock configuration.

Attachments

• F_134.gif
    F_134.gif
    83.6 KB · Views: 106

phsarge

Sharpest Tool
All-Star
Jun 15, 2010
Montana
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Thank you guys for the information on the lift kit and motor i will be looking into it shortly

pavel6

Well Oiled
Sep 27, 2009
Vancouver, BC
First Name
Pavel
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1965
Welcome to the forum - that's a very interesting and rare wagon you have there! Take a look at my website for conversions to disc brakes, shoulder seat belts, power steering and Mega Jolt electronic ignition.
Take our "Bluebell" for a drive if you want but watch out, she's powerful with the Tornado six...

Permit me to suggest that if your 4 banger is running well and you don't need to be fast in any way, consider leaving the little engine in place until you have the vehicle all 'done up' the way you want. By that time you will really know want you want for power...

Cheers and have fun!

Pavel

aquawilly54

Well Oiled
Sep 21, 2009
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Jeff,
What you have there is a Willys Fairmont Wagon. They were used on the railroads. If you inspect closely underneath, you may find evidence of the railroad gadget bracketry used to fit the wheels, so it could neeander down the tracks. Very Cool for you.

Paul Barry at Willys America has all sorts of information on these wagons. He's got three of them.
Steve

I posted this reply on you other entry, but wanted to make sure you saw it, so here it is again. This is indeed a rare wagon. Not worth lots of $$ since Willys trucks and wagons are not the premiere sought after vehicles, but still rare. You should stay with the original drive train in my opinion. The engine you have is a called an F-Head. It's a 134 ci four cylinder that has the exhaust valves in the block and the intake valves in the head. The carburetor also bolts directly on to the head. They are neat little engines.
Steve

lordy611

Bigger Hammer
Jul 26, 2010
Maryland
Willys Model
Willys Year:
I may be no Willys expert, but I have never seen a 4 door wagon. Very cool!
I like the front tire in the profile shot. Cant recall seeing one with such a long straight tread. :lol:

phsarge

Sharpest Tool
All-Star
Jun 15, 2010
Montana
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Well it's official I am going to put her back to stock configuration and green and orange paint. Looks like I may have a Hurricane 226 up for sale here shortly. thanks again for the information. does anyone happen to Have Paul Berrys email at Willys America. I work nights and am asleep most of the time that normal people are awake so trying to call someone can get to be a hassel. Also if anyone wants the tire with the nice long straight tread I will more than happily send it to them when I get new tires

phsarge

Sharpest Tool
All-Star
Jun 15, 2010
Montana
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Thanks for the site. I found it when I bought the truck if you look under the four doors mine is listed as number 10. The person who is doing that site gave me some contact info for the first two that supposadly have the railroad equipment on them still.