Aug 29, 2017
NC
First Name
Eric
Willys Model
  1. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
I have a 1960 CJ5 that came equipped with the small cap Cleveland U-joints. The caps are .9375 and the the overall width is the same as a 1310 at 3.224 but the proper way to measure a Cleveland is at the inside c-clip location which is 2.375. There is another gentleman on the Kaiser Wills page that has the same joints ad was told they were never on these Jeeps. This CJ is all original drive train and the same joints his 1960 has so that might not be concrete evidence that it was factory but is pretty good circumstantial evidence. Either way it is what my Jeep has, so I need a source for new u-joints. If not I can get a rear drive shft from a 1966 CJ5 that had a V6. Are the shafts from V6 models the same length as a 4cyl model? Thanks in advance for any help.
Eric

Here is the page the other person needing these joints was commenting on. https://www.kaiserwillys.com/catego...rap-bolt-style-fits-46-64-truck-station-wagon

Very nice Eric, the U joint pictured in the Kaiser ad is not a Cleveland joint. That's just another mistake in the Kaiser Willys catalogue. And your Jeep doesn't have Cleveland joints either. Your Jeep probably has the narrower joints used on the V6 Jeeps. Not factory for a 1960 Jeep. Is it possible that your Jeep was built in another country? Or a mechanic did something wierd with driveshafts. And this is the rear driveshafe we're talking about? I'd like to see a picture of your driveshaft.
I can provide you with the proper dricveshaft and yokes if you desire. OR, just take your u joint to a car parts store and buy a new one.
So many times people think parts are only available through Jeep parts suppliers, they don't even look at the simple solution. And they aren't Jeep parts, they are Spicer U joints on Jeeps.
diggerG

Back