Oct 13, 2021
USA
First Name
Bill
Willys Model
  1. Aero
Willys Year:
  1. 1954
Thanks for the add! IMG_9517.jpgI have come into possession of a 1954 Willys Aero Ace. Barn find. 55K original miles. Hurricane motor. 3 on the tree, with overdrive. Original paint and interior. It has a few issues, but is pretty solid overall. I'm trying to put it back into fighting trim. Specifically, it no longer shifts out of 1st gear because the shifter lever won't move. Linkage is wonky? Is rebuilding the clutch/linkage possible with available parts? Is there any interchangeability with other willys vehicles?

Attachments

• IMG_9518.jpg
    IMG_9518.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9519.jpg
    IMG_9519.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9520.jpg
    IMG_9520.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9521.jpg
    IMG_9521.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 8

timd32

Precision Fit
All-Star
Jan 4, 2020
NJ
First Name
Tim
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1950
Welcome to the forum. What a great Willys.

Good luck on your project.

There are some good folks on here.

I don't have any specific on your shifting issue, but on a few builds involving some other types of Willys with the column shifter wonder if you could isolate it to either a linkage issue or clutch issue.

If you don't have a service manual It seems the older Chiltons are pretty good overall references for adjustments, I have a 1957 for example it's pretty detailed on repair procedures.

I don't know if the resource tab has the Aero books.

Good luck with your project.

rocket

Well Oiled
Sep 3, 2015
Sierra Mtns
First Name
Rodney
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1963
Welcome to the Forum. Nice little Aero. But I don't know if any of us, or our Willys on the forum are alike. ;)

Last edited:

Lookout Ranch

Well Oiled
All-Star
May 9, 2015
Sierra Foothills
First Name
Kurt
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
Thanks for the add! View attachment 108668I have come into possession of a 1954 Willys Aero Ace. Barn find. 55K original miles. Hurricane motor. 3 on the tree, with overdrive. Original paint and interior. It has a few issues, but is pretty solid overall. I'm trying to put it back into fighting trim. Specifically, it no longer shifts out of 1st gear because the shifter lever won't move. Linkage is wonky? Is rebuilding the clutch/linkage possible with available parts? Is there any interchangeability with other willys vehicles?
Welcome, that's a sweet Aero, looks like it's in great shape. Willys tended to use a lot of the same parts in their vehicles, so I suspect you'll find a lot of overlap. The Aero community here hasn't been large or particularly active, but as Tim suggested, others with 2WD models have dealt with linkage and clutch issues.