Generator Upgrade

stargazer

Knuckle Buster
Mar 21, 2011
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Hello Willys Fans,

I have a 1960 Wagon, 6-226 that is largely restored. I added an air-conditioning system and now find that the generator can not recharge adequately. Any advice on upgrading the generator?

Thank you,

Stargazer

Lyn,
I have asked this question to at least 4 auto-electric places over many, many years. The answer is no. Apparently: the inner physical design is what limits these things. You can only change the windings so much, and the armeteur i'm told cannot be changed, so the most you will ever see out of a "strong" generator is maybe 28 to 30 amps.

Supposedly, there are a few places in the U.S. that can build an alternator that looks like a generator, but that's as far as I took it, when I heard $600 to $800. Of course, the folks that told me that, weren't too sure on those numbers, so research is warrented.

Kaiser Willys is now offering an alternator and bracket assembly that fits nicely in place of a generator, so fabricating your own brackets is no longer necessary. I'm half way thinking of doing that myself. Still on the fence though.
Good luck to ya.
Steve

Back