Feb 10, 2017
California USA
First Name
Joe
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1953
I think the gas pedal in my 53 pickup is an after market replacement, attached are pictures. The rubber socket for the throttle rod is worn and I'd really like to replace it with a good quality reproduction but I am a little confused by the pedals offered by Walcks and Kaiser Willys. Walcks offers the pedal and hinge separately. The hinge has 3 holes while my present one has only 2. They say it is for 46-53 wagons, trucks but don't give dimensions. Here is a link to the hinge: https://walcks4wd.com/fuel-pedal-hi...ion-wagon-sedan-delivery-jeepster_p_1917.html and the pedal : https://walcks4wd.com/fuel-pedal-wi...ion-wagon-sedan-delivery-jeepster_p_2285.html . Kaiser Willys offers the pedal and hinge as a assembly; their hinge has only 2 holes and looks like it might work but they also give no dimensions and state that it fits 46-51 trucks and wagons. They list another for the 54-64 but make no mention of 52-53 model years. Here's K-Ws offering https://www.kaiserwillys.com/catego...pedal-fits-46-51-truck-station-wagon-jeepster . Any one installed either of these? Any input greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2803.JPG
    IMG_2803.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2804.JPG
    IMG_2804.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2806.JPG
    IMG_2806.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 34
I am in the same boat, seems as the little details are always missing when one does an investigation into a part or product. I have an email into Kaiser on my 1959 were I do not even have a pedal or the linkage so I need both. I suggest the same give both vendors an email on your qestion. I am still waiting.
Sorry I am not much help, Good luck.

I just yesterday replaced my broken hinged accelerator pedal in my ‘61 pick up.
Replaced with Walcks #906653 for a 54-62 p/u & wagon. Fit and function perfectly.

Reading more closely I see your dealing with a ‘53.
Your current after market pedal leans far to the right. Your floor is in great condition. Is the floor original or did a PO replace the floor and the pedal drilling new holes for the ‘wrong’ pedal.
I think you’ll get good results if you call Walcks and ask Carl or Daniel.

I am in the same boat, seems as the little details are always missing when one does an investigation into a part or product. I have an email into Kaiser on my 1959 were I do not even have a pedal or the linkage so I need both. I suggest the same give both vendors an email on your qestion. I am still waiting.
Sorry I am not much help, Good luck.
If your truck is a stock 59 with the L226 it uses a different 11 inch long pedal/hinge. I actually bought both the pedal and linkage to replace the worn parts on my '61 but it was totaled before I installed them. Attached are pictures of the pedal which I bought from either Walcks or K-W can't remember which. The linkage was used, bought on eBay, I may still have it as well. If you are interested I'll look for it tomorrow. I'd sell both for less than I paid.

Attachments

• IMG_2826.JPG
    IMG_2826.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2827.JPG
    IMG_2827.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 10
Sorry 6TL226 don't mean to bust in on your posting.
Yes all stock 1959. The picture is of what a guy has locally but he not sure if it is the linkage I need. Maybe you can tell from the picture? I think the other is a clutch part. I would be interested in the peddle if it correct.

Cheer

Attachments

• IMG_20210701_125153076.jpg
    IMG_20210701_125153076.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 15
Sorry 6TL226 don't mean to bust in on your posting.
Yes all stock 1959. The picture is of what a guy has locally but he not sure if it is the linkage I need. Maybe you can tell from the picture? I think the other is a clutch part. I would be interested in the peddle if it correct.

Cheer
The piece on the right does look like the pedal to bell crank link for an L226.

Well my 53 truck does not have the correct holes for the two hole bracket or the three hole. I found a pedal that the PO purchased in the glove box which had a two hole bracket -then ordered a three hole to see if It was closer -no! In any event I lost my gas pedal somehow working on the truck so I ordered the Walks 646509 -and it happens to seem to be same as I had. The pedal overall length is ~10". Pin hole to socket centers is ~8" the hinge width to fit in the bracket is 1.5". I can take pictures of it installed if you want.

Well my 53 truck does not have the correct holes for the two hole bracket or the three hole. I found a pedal that the PO purchased in the glove box which had a two hole bracket -then ordered a three hole to see if It was closer -no! In any event I lost my gas pedal somehow working on the truck so I ordered the Walks 646509 -and it happens to seem to be same as I had. The pedal overall length is ~10". Pin hole to socket centers is ~8" the hinge width to fit in the bracket is 1.5". I can take pictures of it installed if you want.
Thanks please do send a picture of it when you can. I am going to call Carl tomorrow but I think I'm going to be drilling some holes.

I am happy with this pedal. The angle and length seem correct - I ended up using the three hole bracket -but neither matched the holes in my floor.
IMG_2062.jpgIMG_2065.jpg

I cant figure out the studs on the back of your pedal -seems they would restrict the travel.
Me neither, I'm pretty sure you are right that the studs do limit travel. Life got in the way today, but I'm going to call Carl tomorrow and order a new pedal like yours and the 3 hole bracket. Thanks for your pictures they really will help when I start drilling holes.

Me neither, I'm pretty sure you are right that the studs do limit travel. Life got in the way today, but I'm going to call Carl tomorrow and order a new pedal like yours and the 3 hole bracket. Thanks for your pictures they really will help when I start drilling holes.
Drill the bottom one, put the pedal on and pivot to align -then drill the others,

Good plan, since I have not had the pedal off I am not really sure I'll have to drill but if I do the bottom one will be first.

I am happy with this pedal. The angle and length seem correct - I ended up using the three hole bracket -but neither matched the holes in my floor.
View attachment 102188View attachment 102189
Finally got the new pedal installed. As you suggested I used the upper left hole to hold the new pedal in place then located the other two holes from there. Apparently the PO painted over the other 2 holes and I was able to center punch them and clean them up with a 1/8 drill bit. That solved most of my problem but in looking at the picture of your linkage posted in the "Throttle Rod" thread, it appears that my bell crank is installed upside down and the springs are not hooked to the correct points. I can't quite see the points of attachment for either spring though the rear one looks like there might be something on the firewall. The forward one goes downward; perhaps to a bracket on a pan bolt? Could you please take a look and let me know where the spring attachment points are?
Thanks Joe

Back