Fuel line replacement question.

cvultaggio

Gear Grinder
Sep 17, 2010
Willys Model
Willys Year:
I took the hard 5/16 fuel line off my truck and had a new one bent up. I would imagine the fuel pump has fuel in it still and I can see the filter is full right before the carb. Do I need to make sure the new line from the tank to the pump has fuel in it before I try to start it or will there be enough of a prime from the residual fuel in the pump/filter to get things going again?
Thanks.
-Carl

Add a few gallons to the tank and fire it up. Be just like filling up after running out of gas.

Yuppers I agree with what CNSAY said...when I redid my fuel line (someone put a rubber hose in end to end)..mine didnt want to start so added a little to carb and it fired up.
hope this help you out...:)))

I first went to a local brake shop who told me they won't bend 5/16 line, so I tried the transmission place right up the road thinking they might bend bigger lines for transmission coolers and such and they did it for me.

Great thinking. I'll have to give it a try. Mind telling me what you paid for fuel line bending? Tank to carb?

I bought a 6 foot piece and a 5 foot piece with a union from an auto parts store for $17. I brought the new lines and the old one to the transmission shop and they charged me $65 to replicate my old line. I did it in two pieces so it would be easier to reinstall.

cvultaggio said:
I bought a 6 foot piece and a 5 foot piece with a union from an auto parts store for $17. I brought the new lines and the old one to the transmission shop and they charged me $65 to replicate my old line. I did it in two pieces so it would be easier to reinstall.

Labor intensive! check other Wilys sites like KaiserWillys, Overland Willys. etc. google Willys fuel lines see what pops up

Mark

I couldn't find anyone who sold a replacement line for my wagon which is why I went this route and I'm glad I did. The Willys parts retailers sell lines for other models though and I think it would have been more money going through them if they offered a wagon fuel line after paying shipping.

Maybe I just had beginner's luck but I just used two 6 foot sections and a coupling and bent it by hand. It took some doing to fish it through the frame and I installed an electric fuel pump near the back on the frame rail. My Hot Rod buddy reminded me to put a section of rubber fuel hose at both ends (especially at the engine) because of vibration and engine torque. I put a plastic filter at the tank and another glass filter at the carb and it is clean, smooth and safe. Most rebuilders say this job is of the utmost safety concern as a wrong design amounts to a molitof cocktail under the hood if something goes wrong.

Back