front locking hobs

55 willys

Gear Grinder
Mar 19, 2010
hollister.ca
Willys Model
Willys Year:
i traded my 89 harley for a 554x4 wagon. the engine is a 1964 235 chevy and I belive everything else is original equipment. the front locking hubs have a knurled dial with the word "CUTLASS" stamped on the face. is this original? originailty is not very important to me but I intend to to keep it the same as I got it ,but running.

Andrew,
Those hubs are not original. Willys 4X4 vehicles all came with standard full time (cap type) hubs. No part times until 1960 and that was for the Jeeps. Not the pickups or wagons.
I found a set years ago and put them on a Willys pickup I had. They worked very well. I was told they were an early dirivitive of the now famous Warn hubs. I don't know that I believe that, but still they were cool I thought. I'd keep em.
Steve

I actually pulled mine off last night and they have an "IH" logo in them so I know mine have been changed out to a International Harvester hub set up. Look just like Warns though.
my 2 cents.

Eric

Ive got those same "hobs" on my 58. I braved the freaking blizzard outside to get a pic!

hubs.jpg

55 willys said:
trying to be a cool guy and I spell "HUBS" wrong . thank you for the info.
It looks like the guy in the snow is the cool one.... :beer: :beer: :beer:
I've been trying to remember if there were any old hubs that failed or broke often.....can't remember ever breaking any myself or seeing anyone else for that matter.....mostly a matter of how hard they were to put in or take out. I remember bring told to always make sure to have both hubs [hobs]locked in and if they have two screws or levers they need both of these locked in to be safe. I seem to remember times that only one hub got locked or even seems to me once or twice half the hub got locked in......nothing ever broke.
Lessen here was even though you want to let your friend or wife help out or be a part of the fun....never trust they will do things right.

My wagon came with a pry bar looking thing for locking the hubs in or out. Wow. Not only has it been a long time since I had to get out of the Jeep to go into 4wd, but to have a TOOL required to do it? :D Fun stuff...Now I remember why you always take a passenger with you...:D

Jeep School said:
My wagon came with a pry bar looking thing for locking the hubs in or out. Wow. Not only has it been a long time since I had to get out of the Jeep to go into 4wd, but to have a TOOL required to do it? :D Fun stuff...Now I remember why you always take a passenger with you...:D

What brand of hubs do you have?

64 Traveler said:
[quote="Jeep School":eijp8v3k]My wagon came with a pry bar looking thing for locking the hubs in or out. Wow. Not only has it been a long time since I had to get out of the Jeep to go into 4wd, but to have a TOOL required to do it? :D Fun stuff...Now I remember why you always take a passenger with you...:D

What brand of hubs do you have?[/quote:eijp8v3k]
I assume factory on the Dana 25/27 front. ? It says "Power Lock Hub". This photo is of the beat-up passenger side--the driver's side is in pristine condition, but, naturally, I didn't take a photo of that. (Hmmm...maybe passengers are NOT such a good idea?)
[attachment=0:eijp8v3k]hub.jpg[/attachment:eijp8v3k]

Attachments

• hub.jpg
    hub.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 69
Back