Jan 31, 2020
Roseburg, Oregon
First Name
Doug
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1949
Have searched forum for this, haven't found an answer. Tore down my Dana 25 front axle, ( 59 wagon 226 ). Drivers side was missing thrust washer ( end of axle housing at back of bell housing , Well, not missing it, pretty sure the metal chunks in the grease pit were the remains ). The bushing inside the spindle is worn on its inner surface diameter. I'n not sure, and haven't found any answer on how to remove/replace that bushing ( this forum or Shopman U-Tube ) . Passenger side was good. My thot is that PO had done " some work " on drivers side ( that's where the spring had also been replaced ), there was no ring retainer on end of axle, and when I had pulled the WARN lock hub, the axle play was extreme, so guess he had run it for awhile in that condition, damaging the thrust washer and spindle bushing. Bearings and races look OK tho. Parts on order, just need the How to remove spindle bushing " question answered. Thanks all in advance.

IMG_7084.JPG IMG_7086.JPG IMG_7087.JPG
Missing Thrust Washer at axle hub spindle bushing damage Drum & bearings looked OK

IMG_7088.JPG

dana_25p004.jpg

Thrust washer is only used with the Bendix style axle shafts.

dana_25p004.jpg

Thrust washer is only used with the Bendix style axle shafts.
I read that in my research, just noted on my " teardown " that the washer was in the right side ( pass ) and metal remnants of one were in the grease on the drivers side. More interested in how to remove the spindle bushing

Oops, was looking at something else. The bushing you're looking at is something I didn't have to 'fix'. I'm sure somebody else will know the answer.

I either used backwards fingers on a slide hammer or a brass punch and drove it out when I rebuilt mine. I swapped both of them when I did it.

get out your handy-dandy Dremel with the little round high-speed Burr, and cut a slot through that bronze bushing.
Doing so will relieve the press-fit pressure and it should fish out easily. The burr will cut the bronze easily and quick.

If you cannot get a bushing, you can have a local machinist cut one for you to your specs.

Have searched forum for this, haven't found an answer. Tore down my Dana 25 front axle, ( 59 wagon 226 ). Drivers side was missing thrust washer ( end of axle housing at back of bell housing , Well, not missing it, pretty sure the metal chunks in the grease pit were the remains ). The bushing inside the spindle is worn on its inner surface diameter. I'n not sure, and haven't found any answer on how to remove/replace that bushing ( this forum or Shopman U-Tube ) . Passenger side was good. My thot is that PO had done " some work " on drivers side ( that's where the spring had also been replaced ), there was no ring retainer on end of axle, and when I had pulled the WARN lock hub, the axle play was extreme, so guess he had run it for awhile in that condition, damaging the thrust washer and spindle bushing. Bearings and races look OK tho. Parts on order, just need the How to remove spindle bushing " question answered. Thanks all in advance.

View attachment 78527 View attachment 78528 View attachment 78529
Missing Thrust Washer at axle hub spindle bushing damage Drum & bearings looked OK

View attachment 78530
Dealing with this now, how did you resolve it?

Dealing with this now, how did you resolve it?
I'm Past 68, , will have to look at my build post and pics and see if I can recall memory. Basic recall says that this axle did not actually require the bushing ( as advised by more learned members ) thinking that when all was said and done, that was correct, not needed,so I left it - axle - floating. ( think P.O. Had put it in in error, which is why it got chewed up. ) Will pull up the posts ( build forum - " Building Confidence" ) and review some schematics and service manual for info.

Wonder if they make an " easy out" in this size???
Doubt this would work but your post reminded me of those tub drain extractor deals. They are available in 1.5" for sure. I bought one for the house a while back.

Screenshot_20211013-212316_Chrome.jpg

OK, looked at schematics of differential, and best I can recall ( guess a guy should make notes! ), i rebuilt it as the schematic shows, replacing the axle guide, bushing and thrust washer, etc. I had decided the the PO had caused damage to that side of the hub/axle ( most notably because the spring has been replaced with a 2" longer CJ leaf spring and the frame had a crack in the channel. Enuf of impact that it also created havoc with the thrust washer/axle bushing. The bushing came out without much effort, but don't remember specifically how I got it out.

I'm Past 68, , will have to look at my build post and pics and see if I can recall memory. Basic recall says that this axle did not actually require the bushing ( as advised by more learned members ) thinking that when all was said and done, that was correct, not needed,so I left it - axle - floating. ( think P.O. Had put it in in error, which is why it got chewed up. ) Will pull up the posts ( build forum - " Building Confidence" ) and review some schematics and service manual for info.
Got’er done with a long punch. Wasn’t to difficult once I was able to get the hubs stationary. The old bushings have less wall thickness then the new ones so for the 7 bucks a piece I feel better that I got it done.

This is an old thread, but I thought I'd share my solution. The picture is a headset cup removal tool for a bicycle available for $15 bucks on Amazon. You slide it in from the bottom and the flared part will catch the lip. Then you can hammer it out. 1693933495014.png

Back