Mar 17, 2015
Sibley iowa
First Name
William
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1953
Well I got me an ol' 53 Willy's pickup with a snow plow this last fall because I was in need of a plow truck and I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to buy a Willy's. After this long winter the and all the snow... the little old 4 cylinder isn't doing so hot... its got a cylinder in the grave and the starter is in pieces. So I'm thinking of upgrading to a bigger engine.

I bought a transmission adapter for a pretty 65 5 bolt pattern Ford small block at a swap meet. . I'd really Like to put 260 or a 289 in it but all the ones I keep finding are out of cars with automatic transmissions... I'm a welding and not much of a mechanic. I don't know what you have to do to swap out all the parts between the engine and transmission... would really appreciate some help from anyone who knows what the heck they are doin

You will need to get flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, clutch fork, and bell housing. Unless you have the 5 bolt bell housing already and don't forget the sheet metal plate that go's between engine block and bell housing.

I have a 5-bolt 289 in one of my trucks, but I don't really know what it took to convert it. I do know that my conversion used the stock clutch pedal and linkage, and it is a BI$&*! to press and release smoothly, something you may want to think about as if you are plowing snow you will be constantly using the clutch.

Also, finding a good running 5 bolt can be difficult, and will limit transmission options in the future should the T90 go BOOM...

Ya luckily one of the previous owners put a hydraulic clutch in it. I found that out when I had to replace the old slave cylinder.

One of the first things I did on it was rebuild the transmission and transfer case. . They were pissin gear lube and it didn't like to shift into 4wd.

I also think that they tried to make a new inline 6 fit too. . There was a lot of farmer torch cuts and welds on the front cross support and engine mounts. I being the perfectionist of a welder can't wait to fix all those globs of crap every where!

Last edited:
Back