Dec 4, 2019
Mission,B.C. Canada
First Name
Barry Wiseman
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1952
I'm new here but would like to ask, does anyone know of or have an adapter for a Ford flathead V8 to a T-90 Jeep tranny?
Offenhauser #5825 use to work!
Thanks.

A ford flathead is the worst conversion one could do to a willys jeep...Phil

A ford flathead is the worst conversion one could do to a willys jeep...Phil

It could be, but I don't have a lot of background info, but a '49 Mercury flat-head V-8 with it's two lower water pump hoses may be worse (or does the Ford version have the same issue?). My late elderly neighbor at the hunting cabin had a Merc V8 in his '49 Willys pickup and the guys that installed it cut big chunks off the front crossmember for the hoses to clear.

The exhaust manifold hits the steering box, engine hits firewall, oil pan hits front axle, front cross-member is in the way of the 2 water pumps, front springs are to week for the weight,fan hits the hood and no room for the rad. prone for overheating, no power, no room for 4 rad hoses., I am sure there is more negs but it been 40 years Find a gm v6 and call it a day...Phil

The exhaust manifold hits the steering box, engine hits firewall, oil pan hits front axle, front cross-member is in the way of the 2 water pumps, front springs are to week for the weight,fan hits the hood and no room for the rad. prone for overheating, no power, no room for 4 rad hoses., I am sure there is more negs but it been 40 years Find a gm v6 and call it a day...Phil
Darn, that’s depressing. I was looking forward to seeing a flattie in one of these. It would sure look cool.

This is what the adapter I found looks like. 1953 ford flathead v8 in a wagon, no idea how cobbled it was.
Trying to do a period correct V8 conversion in my 48 2wd truck, column shift t90.
9D56B8EB-78A9-4589-82D6-8DED3109AF62.jpeg38B57DD1-7C15-4D57-BA07-A0431DE5832C.jpeg

Other than that it fits just fine!

I'm thinking a Ford Model C, but could be an A or B.
Montana Steve's adapter looks like a long shaft version. The one I had (and sold) was a short shaft version. Shoulda kept it. I got the V8 for it.
diggerG

Cool. What is that?
Just a hot rodded Ford four cylinder flathead.. I've always wondered how one would look in a pre-1950 Willys... Not this modified
but styled to look like a great big Willys 4 flathead.. Backed by a 5 speed, of course... Just might fit and
would have quite the look. Plus a bit more grunt... Not as much as a Packard straight eight, but that would require extending everything
in front of the cowl and ruin the body line..

I’m confused; it says “licensed by Chrysler Motors” on the head.
I was curious, too. From what I read, the Simmons Super Power Head used a design for the combustion chamber that was patented by Chrysler, hence the need for the license.

Last edited:
I was curious, too. From what I read, the Simpson Super Power Head used a design for the combustion chamber that was patented by Chrysler, hence the need for the license.
Well, I started out to have a little fun... Looks like the interweb will tell all.......Yeah, the cylinder head like the rest of the engine is a collection of
old and new hop up parts for those who love running inlines against the V's..

Just a hot rodded Ford four cylinder flathead.. I've always wondered how one would look in a pre-1950 Willys... Not this modified
but styled to look like a great big Willys 4 flathead.. Backed by a 5 speed, of course... Just might fit and
would have quite the look. Plus a bit more grunt... Not as much as a Packard straight eight, but that would require extending everything
in front of the cowl and ruin the body line..

Larry
Hot rodded Ford 4 cyl? What does that mean? WHAT Ford 4 cyl? I can think of 5 different but there could be more...?
Greg

Larry
Hot rodded Ford 4 cyl? What does that mean? WHAT Ford 4 cyl? I can think of 5 different but there could be more...?
Greg
You called it. Model A style block..... These old inlines are way out of style today... There used to be zillions of hop up options
for them.... The bottom end is too weak to go much above 250 hp, though... The flathead V8 is only good for 300 hp before
things get ragged... But, getting that much power is thrilling in a light vehicle like the Willys..

https://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum/index.php?media/dscn1429-jpg.14776/
I'm new here but would like to ask, does anyone know of or have an adapter for a Ford flathead V8 to a T-90 Jeep tranny?
Offenhauser #5825 use to work!
Thanks.
I have the adapter you are referring to. I bought a 1950 willys pickup with a flat head V8 several years ago. I am attempting an S10 frame swap so I wil notl need the adapter. The pickup was driven a little before I pulled the cab off.1576732541997.png
https://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum/index.php?media/dscn1424-jpg.14771/

Last edited:
Hi ;
Is it a Offenhauser #5825? And how much?
Thanks
It is still attached to the engine. I cleaned off the perimeter and the back side , and saw no identification marks as far as make. The attachment shows what it DSCN2031.JPGlooks lik attached to the engine Flat head. If you would be interested in it regardless of make, I would take $75 plus shipping, (I live pretty much in the middle of the US 68718 zip code), Let me know if you are interested and I can try to remove it tomorrow. There are two locating dowel pins holding it on. I will probably have to heat it some to get it off without breaking the adapter

Back