Jun 15, 2017
bernardo nm
First Name
john
Willys Model
  1. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1958
I know about these little devils having grown up in the MO Ozarks , I was tick & chigger bit for years. Just a neat looking Jeep and interesting
dialog , I wish I had known about the itch remedy back then. Anyway kinda interesting and maybe a trick for our SE members.

Chiggers are alive and well in the MO Ozarks. I just got a few yesterday walking my daughter’s dog. I got off the path into some tall weeds, now I’ll pay the price.

Chiggers are alive and well in the MO Ozarks. I just got a few yesterday walking my daughter’s dog. I got off the path into some tall weeds, now I’ll pay the price.

Jim, I feel for you ! The only way I found to avoid them was to move to the dry desert. When we left I closed the gate behind me, brushed against a bush
and about a dozen got me, 8 -10 days later the itch was gone but I was safe from the little noseeums and ticks. We have ticks here though
but they're a different kind, sometimes see them on rabbits.
In the 15 years since the only time I got tick bit was when we went back to MO for a visit. The
only remedy I found back then was to soak some rags in kerosene and tie them tightly around the bites, helped a bit.
Cheers ,,,, :)

Last edited:
I must be sweet! The little buggers really like me. My wife can walk right beside me and I come home with bites and she has none. Oh well, I’ve lived here my whole life, I’m used to it. I don’t enjoy it, but I’m used to it.

I had a "case" of chiggers as a young man in Virginia. It was a bad experience. A relatively recent biting arrival to Long Island is the Lone Star tick. Their larvae leave numerous bites that itch to the point of madness for it's victims. Bottom line....Deet, don't leave home without it.

I'll keep the baking soda/vinegar remedy in mind though, you never know.

I forgot to mention the following. My wife read somewhere (Inter webs) that the little critters don't like tea tree oil. She bought a big bottle of shampoo with tea tree oil. Now when I come home from somewhere I think may have had ticks and chiggers I shower and use the shampoo like body wash. It seems to help.

Back