Flyin BELOW the RADAR

SavageSun Willys

Sharpest Tool
Jan 7, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
Willys Model
Willys Year:
WHY bother to drive a old Willys? Fill in the blank: ______ ______ _______...

Well maybe the significant other thinks that is NOT enough or you buds say its not modern, does not have _____ or _______ etc.

Well THANK GAWD for NoBama:

'Cars and trucks WILL be fitted with "black boxes" to record info about crashes, [your driving habits, where you go, when you go and if its electric how often and how much and where you get your JUICE*)'.

Allow the FEDS to order a recall if a flaw MIGHT lead to injury.

FEDS to ELIMINATE CAP on civil penalties against automakers.

New standards for BRAKE OVERIDE systems.

New standard for PEDALS that might get caught in carpet.

User fee of $3 per vehicle rising to $9 per vehicle in 3 years.

Proposal by Congressional Energy and Commerce Committee, Chairman Henry Waxman (D) California and they have just started...

* BLACK BOX in your HOME!!! In several places there is a test project underway this year that will GIVE the MONOLOPY of electric companies the ability to CONTROL (turn on, turn off etc) your HOME electricity. Electric companies will be FEDERALIZED. In fact they almost are now as they operate as monopolies as authorized by Congress. Want an electric car????

Don and his '55 Willy's Wagon FLYIN fast and low UNDER the STATE and FEDERAL RADAR... ;)

Sad part is I am waiting for the damn law to come around that says no vehicle older than 1980 allowed on the road......

With my darn luck they will pass some B.S. like that before I can even get mine on the road.......

Big Brother just wants to keep an eye on everything we do........ Oh joy.....

Eric B said:
Sad part is I am waiting for the damn law to come around that says no vehicle older than 1980 allowed on the road......

With my darn luck they will pass some B.S. like that before I can even get mine on the road.......

Big Brother just wants to keep an eye on everything we do........ Oh joy.....

You have to ask yourself, what in the world does Henry Waxman know about a car, or Chuck Schumer know about carry on luggage and I could go on and on. Fact is they know NOTHING, but instead think they are smarter than auto engineers, you, me and everyone else. Their answer is always the same...create and pass another law. 22,000+ gun laws, 3000 pages of health-care regs in ONE bill, none of which was read by anyone, yet it is now law. Of all the bad things we have the 2 worst that are in charge of this country: Lawyers (who are) career politicians. This is a formula for disaster leading to complete chaos and failure.

im a newbie and dont quite get the hang of things here yet butttttt isnt this supposed to be a willys forum orrrrrr should i sharpen my

political pen and respond to nobama comments or is it ok as long as you relate the discussion to a willys????? dont get me wrong i enjoy a

good spirited discussion on privacy rights , illegal searches and siezures etc.......

rickybob....

RICKYBOB said:
im a newbie and dont quite get the hang of things here yet butttttt isnt this supposed to be a willys forum orrrrrr should i sharpen my political pen and respond to nobama comments or is it ok as long as you relate the discussion to a willys????? dont get me wrong i enjoy a good spirited discussion on privacy rights , illegal searches and siezures etc.......

rickybob....

I think it's find to post something like "I'm happy my Willys doesn't have a black box so the gubment can't track my every move", but much beyond that and it's on the wrong forum. There are plenty of places on the net that will welcome you with open arms for a "good spirited" political discussion, there's no need to do it here. If you feel like you really need to respond to something, and want to share your belief system, do it with an email or PM and keep it off line.

It is a fine-line, so use your better judgment. Not everone here may share your personal political views, and political rants on otherwise non-political forums always seem to fester and morph into shit-talking and flaming and drama. Eventually the forum as a whole suffers as a result. And then I have to be the bad-guy and shut threads down and become the forum cop, which I don't want to do. I am remarkably tolerant, but if a thread turns into a flaming rant, it will be removed.

The reason we are all here is to share our common interests in Willys wagons and trucks and, in my judgment, to get away from all the bullshit going on in the world around us. No need to muddy the water...

:cheers:

RICKYBOB said:
im a newbie and dont quite get the hang of things here yet butttttt isnt this supposed to be a willys forum orrrrrr should i sharpen my

political pen and respond to nobama comments or is it ok as long as you relate the discussion to a willys????? dont get me wrong i enjoy a

good spirited discussion on privacy rights , illegal searches and siezures etc.......

rickybob....
RickyBob, you are right its not a political forum and my comment was based upon my choice to do a Willys and chuck my cars that are electronically controlled or the current rage of electric cars. While this is my opinion, you or anyone else is entitled to theirs.

No doubt a few short years ago my post would not have even garnered any attention let alone be worthy of comments. I brought my current '06 LJ Rubicon build to a halt just recently and the prime motivating force was the inability to power up and make changes as I saw fit. In addition my lack of knowledge and desire at my age to learn the ins and outs of emissions controls and the complexity of computer controlled autos that do not allow me, the end user to control my own auto.

This became the basis for finding and building a Willys. My donor was my '03 Jeep Rubicon and its now the donor for my Willy's.

Then a couple of days ago I am reading the paper and here come Henry Waxman who is writing laws on auto's the automotive engineer that he is :roll:

At one time governments other than lic plates and some small taxes did not give a hoot. Then came seat belts, 5 mph bumpers, emissions, air bags. Now they are talking about black boxes and RECORDING everything you do. My '55 is NOT enrolled... ;)

I am sure there are some off road folks on here. I have been off roading for 45 years. At one time there was nada gov't interest, today we are EYEBALL deep in gov't regs from trail use to lift kits. Jeep Wranglers have a factory 'roll bar' but they cannot call it that due to fear of LAW SUITS. It has to be called a "Sport Bar" and is used to mount the 'speaker pods'.

None of this is meant a political commentary but rather more of a 'thank GAWD I am driving a '55 Willy's, with a non electroncialy controlled transmission, and a fire breathing V8 GM Crate motor with a carb that I can work on and I can take it off road, run big tires and let it suck gas...all the while I am NOT having to muck with emissions tests, inspections and outrageous city taxes.

You might want to also explore sales prices at such auctions as Barrett Jackson or Mecum. The market for any car that is pre-76 has gone thru the roof and expected to go higher. Its guys like me, who grew up on small block Chevy's, Fords and Holley carbs, did ALL of our own work. So bear with me, I was born in '46 and in a few years most of us will be either long gone or to old to work on our cars. Then you can discuss the best electric cables for plugging in you rig or what ever the forum discussion will be in the future.

My only suggestion to you is to go back and carefully read my first post, the title and the discussion and see if its a commentary on politics or a comment on us guys who are driving pre-'76 autos; that and my '55 and 'ole Don here (and some of us) who are truly flyin below the radar.

I have a buddy of mine that built onto his shop this year, and when the gubment saw this on satellite, they came to his house and nailed him with a fine because his property is now worth more and he didn't pay the right taxes. I know another guy in my area that built a house and dug a pond and garden and stuff in his backyard. His neighbor reported him to the EPA, and they came knocking and demanded that he return the grounds to within 6 inches (as per satellite images) of how it was naturally, or face some hefty fines.

I've learned not to trust all the electrical controls. Look at what happened when Airbus went with fly by wire controls. Eleven A320s crashed and went to airplane heaven, taking over 150 people each incident with them. Nevermind that the flight control computer read incorrect values and ignored redundant sensors, or the system restricted the pilots from overriding control because the plane thought it was landing when it was still in the sky. All 11 crashes were blamed on pilot error, despite the fact that the flight control was behaving erroneously and prevented the pilots from saving the aircraft. Look at what's happening now that Toyota has done the same thing with the accelerator pedal. I've learned not to trust these things, and I'm a graduate research student majoring in computer engineering that designs these very same systems. We're taught to test, test, and then test. It's beaten into us the importance of figuring out all the errors before putting systems like these onto the market, but politics and profits keep dictating unsafe development techniques. After one of the first delivered Airbus A320s crashed during an air show fly by, French civil aviation authorities confiscated the black box, opened and tampered it, and cut out the last 4 seconds of recordings. The crash was afterwards blamed on the pilots. Toyota blamed floor mats several times before admitting that their computers had problems. These computers have still not been fixed. This isn't rocket science, we develop numerous embedded systems in our curriculum during a 4 month long semester at school.

After my daily driver bites the dust, I'm going to be driving my CJ on a normal basis and hopefully by then I'll have the wagon done and streetable. I'd have to say no thanks to all this new stuff. :thumbup: The only black box in the wagon is going to be controlling my multiple spark ignition, and I can override this to use the points in about 30 seconds flat.

Back