I've made some build threads in the past with tractors and other projects. It's nice to go back and refer to things in one spot, for sure. I think if you did start a new thread, Joe B ^^^^^ has a great idea. On a tractor forum I admin we have a "merge" feature to combine threads, but usually that's for just a couple threads.
I'm gonna do it! I'm going to write a Build Thread...... stand by in the next day or so, I'll get it started. I'll start at the beginning, and tell the story, and try to incorporate the worthwhile stuff - and there will probably be some rambling....
Haha - Buxman66, that's probably what I SHOULD do - but I ramble on anyway.....
I like what @Joe B suggested, maybe I'll include a link to the original thread (or other threads that are crazy long and wander around) so people who really are into self-punishment can follow them, too.
And I get what @49billm is saying, too - about kinda liking the shotgun effect. That's certainly what I've done, usually when I have had a specific question - then it somehow takes on a life of its own and keeps going.... .My problem is, I can't FIND half the stuff I have talked about in here, when I want to see something. And my phone and computer have (literally) a couple thousand photos at this point. (The phone is my most important tool - it's my "memory" - I take a ton of photos as I disassemble stuff, and then I can go see how it came apart later, when I can't remember exactly).
So we'll get it all put together, and try to make it entertaining, too.
I'm gonna stick an update in here, just so you know I'm still working away. While we wait for my Build Thread to catch up with us! (It's got nothing to do with rusty door bottoms, though. Haha)
Spent a few days working on the cab "ceiling" - trying to understand the early ('47 and '48 only) cloth headliner.
Worked a long time just cleaning up that area, hadn't really paid any attention to it. And of course, it wanted a lot of attention!
You can see the headliner "bows" here, too.
I thought quite a bit about doing some kind of Lizard Skin coating or similar, but finally decided to just scrub it several times, etch it, and paint it with some gray oil-based paint.
Worked on the bows, getting those ready to re-use too.
And I chopped out the passenger side door jam, and welded in that door-check pivot repair deal. That was a day.
And I've got ALL the glass out of the cab - windshield, rear window, etc. Getting ready for new glass there.
Been chipping away at making all those garnish moldings new again. Here's a little series on one piece of the windshield trim that was pitted pretty bad.
This first one is after sandblasting and it's in self-etching primer. I backlit it, so you can see how pitted it was.
Then after the first heavy coat of All-Metal, and sanding -
Then after a few more coats of sanding primer, the red oxide filler, and more sanding. Getting close.
Then, that final coat of primer yesterday.
And today - color!
We're having 90+ degree weather for several days, so I paint early in the day. Outside. The Bride had the bright idea to get some "portable shade" so I could keep it out of the bright hot sun so it could set up right. That helped productivity.
There's a lot of linear feet of garnish moldings to work, but I'm getting there. Here's all the windshield surrounds done now.