First Time Willys Owner

1947CircleW

Gear Grinder
Nov 23, 2009
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Hi, from Lethbridge Alberta, I purchased a 47 wagon off ebay a couple months ago, some of you may recognize it from the pics if you were browsing ebay at that time. Unlike most of you I am not a die hard willys fanatic,I guesse I am more of a hot rodder. At the time I was shopping for a pickup to build into a ratrod so I could have a daily driver for the summer (I already have a shiny hot rod in the garage) I don't care for the really ratty look but wanted something with original paint with a nice looking patina, then I spotted the willys on ebay PERFECT, to me it looked so COOL, just the right amount of bumps and bruises, lots of character. The previous owner had it for a couple of years but never got it on the road and couldn't tell me a lot of history on it either. As near as I can tell its always been a Canadian vehicle and was driven regularly until 1972 then was stored in a barn until 2004 when it was sold by the estate, it changed hands again in 2007 before I got it.[attachment=2:108v7tue]Willys1.jpg[/attachment:108v7tue][attachment=1:108v7tue]willys5.jpg[/attachment:108v7tue][attachment=0:108v7tue]willys9.jpg[/attachment:108v7tue]
I had a dozen other pictures but the program would only let me attach three.
so far I am very happy with the purchase for buying sight unseen, I have had a few pleasant surprizes like finding the original spare tire cover in the back in very good condition. The wagon also has the third jump seat in the back as well. The only dissapointment is with the headliner, the mice chewed a few holes in it while it was stored in the barn, I am planning on removing it and throwing it in the wash machine, if it doesn't disintegrate I will patch it and reinstall (remember it is just a rat rod) Sunvisors look almost new, body is 99% rust free.
After fixing a bunch of leaks in the fuel system we were able to get the engine fired up (many thanks to my friend Herb) Surprisingly it is quite sound, that is my dilema now, at one time I was planning on pulling the driveline and upgrading everything including the suspension, but the vehicle is quite complete and original so I hate to start cutting it up. I am also impressed with the quality, better built vehicle than my old chevy.I grew up learning to drive 3 on the tree with armstrong steering and drum brakes so I think I will leave it that way for the first summer and see how it goes, but I still keep visualizing the willys with the nose down in the weeds a bit of thunder under the hood, well you know how it goes. Enough of me rambling on, I will post more pics later on.
Hopefully I can figure how to post this I am not very good with this technical stuff, have enjoyed viewing all of you guys and gals posts.
Regards, Dwain

Very cool! Nice wagon!

I did some work for Lethbridge Electric Utility up there. Me and my team converted all of their electric distribution data over to ArcFM (facilities management) software a few years back. It was great to work for them. I really liked it up there. Maybe I will get an opportunity to go back some day. If I do, I will stop in and see ya.

I saw this Wagon on ebay and so wanted to bid as well, but being in Georgia didn't permit me to....It sure was a "Cream Puff"...and I would have loved to have owned it as well. I'm glad you have it and can resurrect it to ride once again down the road safely. I would'nt even paint it, a gentle buffing and call it a survivor! I'M ENVIOUS.........
Merry Christmas........

Welcome. Great looking survivor you have there. Love the patina, that will be a great thing to preserve. Glad to hear that is your plan. Good luck with it.

I followed the auction for your wagon too... glad to see it went to a happy home!

Pete

Thank you all for the welcome, indeed I don't plan on painting it, I tried buffing a small spot and it cleans up quite well. I suppose for now it will be a survivor and not a rat rod as I am keeping it original for the time being.
Midnightburn if you are ever in Lethbridge again definitely look me up I will add some contact info to my profile. The guys here host a great car show the second weekend of July and your Willys would draw a good crowd, I am definitely impressed with your skills and ambition as well for getting that project on the road in such a short time.

73fj said:
Greetings my Canadian brother, nice wagon. :D
Thanks Chris, I spent a couple years in your neck of the woods myself (78-80) I was with my brother when he rolled his CJ7 while 4 wheeling in those sand hills just south of the city, he had just got new tires mounted that day and spun one off the rim on the downhill side, I remember it was a long walk back to town. Hey good luck with your wagon, looks like you are off to a good start.
Dwain

62 OlllO said:
I'm STILL envious....what a beautiful wagon :)
Thanks Kevin, now that I figured out how to do this reply thing without doing a new post I have to say you are a true willyollic considering that was your second reply to my post. No problem, I must say I have drooled over a few chopped mercs in my day.
Dwain

1947CircleW said:
Hi, from Lethbridge Alberta, I purchased a 47 wagon off ebay a couple months ago, some of you may recognize it from the pics if you were browsing ebay at that time. Unlike most of you I am not a die hard willys fanatic,I guesse I am more of a hot rodder. At the time I was shopping for a pickup to build into a ratrod so I could have a daily driver for the summer (I already have a shiny hot rod in the garage) I don't care for the really ratty look but wanted something with original paint with a nice looking patina, then I spotted the willys on ebay PERFECT, to me it looked so COOL, just the right amount of bumps and bruises, lots of character. The previous owner had it for a couple of years but never got it on the road and couldn't tell me a lot of history on it either. As near as I can tell its always been a Canadian vehicle and was driven regularly until 1972 then was stored in a barn until 2004 when it was sold by the estate, it changed hands again in 2007 before I got it.[attachment=2:2f8dldej]Willys1.jpg[/attachment:2f8dldej][attachment=1:2f8dldej]willys5.jpg[/attachment:2f8dldej][attachment=0:2f8dldej]willys9.jpg[/attachment:2f8dldej]

Hey I know I'm late for this party :? :? :? but how come I can't open these photos??? :x :x :x

'47 Circle....haven't heard from you for awhile, I really hate seeing the pictures of your wagon....,I want it so badly, that it makes go crazy seeing it....nice fined and I hope to see it "live" some day.

1947CircleW said:
Hi, from Lethbridge Alberta, I purchased a 47 wagon off ebay a couple months ago, some of you may recognize it from the pics if you were browsing ebay at that time.
Regards, Dwain

Hi Dwain, welcome to the forum, eh. The pics don't load for me either.

I've been to Lethbridge 5 times over the years, it's a nice place.

Back