Finish Line in sight for 'Willa Dean'

Break out the hose.
It's almost
too convenient that it will rattle at a standstill and at idle. That taunting rabbit is worth tracking and bagging.

Ross steering gearbox is "tighter" at the straight-ahead position
That's what I'm saying, so repositioning the steering wheel probably makes things worse. My wagon is probably a lot like Big Dog Frank's truck. My brother owns a cabin that's located in a Forest Service campground, and the neighbor told me he could recognize my car coming long before he could see me, because of the rattles. There's no way I'm parting it out, though!

I doubt that this is the cause of your mystery rattle but it may give you something to take into consideration while you try to pin it down. Yesterday we had a cool front come through and the temperature dropped about twenty degrees and this A.M. when I took the 2A out my cold weather rattle was back. I think it is the result of trying to hold to close tolerances on the last rebuild. A couple of good days of sunshine and it will quiet down again. Good Luck.

It sounds metallic, just like you would expect if that long cross brace was vibrating against the cab wall.... But ya know, since driving it 100 miles or so (in total) now, it seems to be settling down quite a bit. You don't hear it when you're rolling - only standing still at idle. And it's definitely not as bad as it was.
I get something like that when first starting the engine. Stops shortly after, the noise not the engine.

Last edited:
Had three noises. Different speeds, fwy, start stop, backing in. Couldnt figure it. One day a loudmouth ford mall crawler rolled up on me at a stop light. Some kind of modern bass vibrating so loud i coulnt hear my outlaw country boom box. What I could hear was all three rattles, same time, and me dead stop. It wasnt the truck. It was my various belongings. Resituated the things, padded a bit, silent runnings. No way i was parting with my rake shovel. Too valuable. Put a door mat under it.

I’m assembling a CJ2A motor and noticed that the rear main bearing cap drain tube was just loose enough to just barely contact the flywheel counterweight. Hopefully that’s not your problem too.

It sounds metallic, just like you would expect if that long cross brace was vibrating against the cab wall.... But ya know, since driving it 100 miles or so (in total) now, it seems to be settling down quite a bit. You don't hear it when you're rolling - only standing still at idle. And it's definitely not as bad as it was.
FWIW, I get a funny metallic noise at idle too. Tracked down to the throwout bearing; does the noise go away when you depress the clutch?

Was in an old battery shop this morning and saw some eye candy for Vintage Don.
View attachment 107157

Them are be- a - u - tee - full, Lookout!

@Tralehead thanks, but I am confident that it's not the throw-out. I can hear the throw-out, but this is more of a sheetmetal sound.

I need some time to get back on it. Been running around all weekend.

We want our old Vintage Don back. Not the celebrity attending car shows, visiting museums and generally being lauded everywhere. We want the Don that was covered in rust and grease everyday and shared his garage adventures with us. Where did that Don go to? :confused:

I fear it's already too late, Joe.

We have likely lost The Don to the siren song of celebrity... and it's completely our own fault for lionizing him over the past couple of years.

With all the side money he's undoubtedly raking in for autographs and endorsements thanks to this nationwide "victory tour", he'll soon be having a team of others doing the wrenching on his projects, just like Jay Leno.

Hey Don: Perhaps it's time for loading up the truck, and moving to Beverly? ("Hills" that is. Swimmin' pools. Movie stars...)

Can I stay in your guest house?

1632052174396.png

Last edited:
@Stakebed
We want our old Vintage Don back. Not the celebrity attending car shows, visiting museums and generally being lauded everywhere. We want the Don that was covered in rust and grease everyday and shared his garage adventures with us. Where did that Don go to?

I fear it's already too late, Joe.

We have likely lost The Don to the siren song of celebrity... and it's completely our own fault for lionizing him over the past couple of years.

Hahaha - well, here I am, finding out that I've been both lauded, and lionized. Damn. Whaddya know....

But I want to "come back,' too! And I'm struggling to do that. Let's review a minute.

Worked 3 and a half years figuring out what to do next, and then doing it, to rebuild old Willa Dean top-to-bottom. Insofar as it's ever possible to "Reach The Finish Line" (see what I did there, with the Title of this Thread? haha) -then I guess I have reached it with Willa Dean. Sure, there are remaining issues - a rattle, and a hang-up with shifting outta first - but she's been driven over a hundred miles now, been to about 3 (? I think) Cruise-ins and shows.

And then I took the 'Victory Lap Vacation' around the USA - because I owed it to The Bride. And myself!

Now - I'm struggling with TWO dominant problems that have been preventing me so far from getting "back in the groove." (And I do want to be back in the groove....)

The first is always an issue - TIME. I swear, it's going by soooo fast since we got home. Every single day is jammed up with (non-shop) stuff that uses up all the hours. And the past coupla weekends have had wall-to-wall events, too. And it ain't getting any better looking forward. Tomorrow, I have to go to Cleveland, and on the way home to Akron. Akron at least is a Willys reason. I bought a radiator at the Flatfender event a week ago, and I'm dropping it off at the radiator shop for them to go through it. That'll be the radiator for the Run Stand for the Spare Engine. I keep chipping away at getting parts and pieces for that project, for "after Chuffy." And there goes Monday.

Tuesday I have to take Vintage Mom to a couple doctor's appointments, again up in Cleveland. That'll use up Tuesday. Wednesday is a haircut, and an oil change and service etc on the Big Jeep, at the Jeep Dealer. Boom - Wednesday's gone. Thursday I got the garage door company coming to install an opener on the third and final overhead door in the Shop. Because I'm getting old, and I open that one a lot more often than I thought I would - and I just want to, so I'm doing it. Or more correctly, I'm paying somebody else to do it, because it doesn't sound much like fun. But that'll still tie me up for a chuck of the day.

And so there's next week - pretty well blown up with no progress in sight. (Although there's still hope for Friday!)

So like I said - two problems. That's one - the TIME issue. I don't have enough of it lately.

The other one is DIRECTION / MISSION / GOAL. I've been piddlin' around with little things on Willa Dean. And I have managed to patch a small section of rust hat-channel on the underside of Chuffy. Not really worthy of a posting - just couldn't get at it before, laying on the floor - until now when I finally have him up on the Lift and I can get at it with the welder.

But I'm not really sure what I'm WORKING on next.... if I DID have any time.

Chuffy, sure, that'll be the next main push. And then getting @gasoil 's engine up and running. And I never finished the "FC Face" project hanging there on the back wall. But I will.

Just trying to climb back up in the old saddle, and get moving forward again. I can't write posts, unless and until I do something worthy of posting about. But I will....

Last edited:
I've wondered about your next goal, project, etc as well. You seem to be someone that must be working on something. I wonder if you're done with Willys and ready to move onto another brand? If so, I'm really going to miss reading your project reports.

I do believe Chuffy was manufactured by Willys-Overland.....

Okay folks. This is great banter, but it's borderline thread hijacking, albeit unintentional. Let's not forget this is @Vintage Don's build thread which chronicles his adventures and efforts along the the way to get Willa Dean back on the road.

We don't want to ruin the friendly community here at OWF that @Pete founded and we all developed together over time, but let's also not lose the technical value of the threads, especially the build threads. It's hard to maintain that with so many sidetracks.

If anyone wants to chit-chat, that's what the Garage section is for. All we can ask is that you think about how you would feel if you spent a lot of time creating a build thread (on top of your actual Willys build no less), and other folks' posts took it another direction.

So Don; seeing as you hauled "Willa Dean" out of a cornfield and drug her home for the great rebuild; is there a chance you might haul her out to Moab next summer? Me thinks that would stoke up a bunch of your fans to get moving on their projects and take the plunge.

FWIW, it's my goal to get my wagon out there and meet more OWF members including you. It's always great to watch the amount of work and skill folks put into their Willys, but it's even better to see all of you and your Jeeps in person!

So Don; seeing as you hauled "Willa Dean" out of a cornfield and drug her home for the great rebuild; is there a chance you might haul her out to Moab next summer? Me thinks that would stoke up a bunch of your fans to get moving on their projects and take the plunge.

FWIW, it's my goal to get my wagon out there and meet more OWF members including you. It's always great to watch the amount of work and skill folks put into their Willys, but it's even better to see all of you and your Jeeps in person!

That's a great idea! - at least in general. I have been thinking about such things for a while now - both the Moab part, and the get-together part. I'm not sure Willa Dean is the "right" vehicle to bring to Moab, though. I get it, that you're saying folks might want to see it. But Chuffy is not far from being done (but it'll end up taking longer than I think, no doubt). And a little CJ would probably do a lot better running around the sand and red rock in Utah. But in general - yeah! Meeting the folks I have met so far is always a great pleasure. You're a long way from Moab, too. But the trip we took last month had us passing right by there on I-70. (Almost stopped and ran down there for old times sake in the modern Hemi Big Jeep.) And the get-together @Stakebed has done twice now sure sounds like it was a blast.

I've about got the drudgery of this week behind me now, finally. All the appointments are over, the gutters are fixed, the new garage door opener is installed, parts are dropped off..... only new surprise so far is the need to add an electrical outlet for that final garage door opener. I had wired in the other ones when I built the shop 10 years ago, but didn't think I'd ever want one on this final, "low traffic" door. Apparently I was wrong about that.... haha

Maybe I'll get back to working on Willys this coming week.

I've gotta buddy coming Saturday afternoon to shift gears in Willa Dean while she's running - so I can get under there and SEE what is happening when it jams up - is it in the linkage (probably) or in the transmission itself....

That's a great idea! - at least in general. I have been thinking about such things for a while now - both the Moab part, and the get-together part. I'm not sure Willa Dean is the "right" vehicle to bring to Moab, though. I get it, that you're saying folks might want to see it. But Chuffy is not far from being done (but it'll end up taking longer than I think, no doubt). And a little CJ would probably do a lot better running around the sand and red rock in Utah. But in general - yeah! Meeting the folks I have met so far is always a great pleasure. You're a long way from Moab, too. But the trip we took last month had us passing right by there on I-70. (Almost stopped and ran down there for old times sake in the modern Hemi Big Jeep.) And the get-together Stakebed has done twice now sure sounds like it was a blast.

I've about got the drudgery of this week behind me now, finally. All the appointments are over, the gutters are fixed, the new garage door opener is installed, parts are dropped off..... only new surprise so far is the need to add an electrical outlet for that final garage door opener. I had wired in the other ones when I built the shop 10 years ago, but didn't think I'd ever want one on this final, "low traffic" door. Apparently I was wrong about that.... haha

Maybe I'll get back to working on Willys this coming week.

I've gotta buddy coming Saturday afternoon to shift gears in Willa Dean while she's running - so I can get under there and SEE what is happening when it jams up - is it in the linkage (probably) or in the transmission itself....
Glad to see you back in your thread.

On topic, I'd like to meet you too. RFTH would welcome any Buckeye that wishes to join us.

Yes, Chuffy would be better suited to Moab since you run street tires on WD. I base that opinion just on the pictures @Pete has posted over the years.

Back