Apr 7, 2018
San Jose, AZ
First Name
Richard
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1959
OK. I will assume this is wear, but I'm sure that the steering is tighter in the one spot that should be straight ahead. If I count the number of turns left I can go, and the number of turns right I can go, the only spot where the steering is tight is right in the middle and the W is right side up and the bars are horizontal. It makes sense that the steering would be loose in the spot that has been straight for the last 50 years, but it seems to me that it would be tight in more than the one place that should be straight. I don't want to hijack Don's thread, so once I get the car running again if I ever get around to fixing the steering, I'll post a new thread.

Vintage Don

Well Oiled
All-Star
Oct 9, 2017
Medina, Ohio
First Name
Don
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1948
@richardhufford - If I'm understanding what you're saying here, you are correct that the Ross steering gearbox is "tighter" at the straight-ahead position than it is as you move outward to either side - by design. I recall the Mechanic's Manual talking about "some slight play away from the center point is acceptable." I'm not in the Shop where I can look for that.

Boy oh boy. This past week has been soooo action-packed..... Can't get my head above water. And this coming weekend promises to be almost as busy, with full days scheduled straight though. (It gets this way at the end of the season, right through Hershey time.)

But I have high hopes of eventually returning to making some regular postings.....

Big Dog Frank

Well Oiled
Feb 12, 2016
North Lawrence,Ohio
First Name
Frank
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1959
My truck must really be a hunk of junk. If it did not rattle, bang, pop,grind squeak or leak I would think that it had stalled in the middle of an intersection. And if I got in the truck and the steering was straight I would have to get out and look if I had gotten into the right truck. Must be time to part the old girl out.

Vintage Don

Well Oiled
All-Star
Oct 9, 2017
Medina, Ohio
First Name
Don
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1948
The rattling noise...

Does it sound like an acorn, or does it sound sound metallic?

It sounds metallic, just like you would expect if that long cross brace was vibrating against the cab wall.... But ya know, since driving it 100 miles or so (in total) now, it seems to be settling down quite a bit. You don't hear it when you're rolling - only standing still at idle. And it's definitely not as bad as it was.

Joe B

Well Oiled
Dec 17, 2012
Sandston, VA
First Name
Joe
Willys Model
  1. Forward Control
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
Break out the hose.
It's almost
too convenient that it will rattle at a standstill and at idle. That taunting rabbit is worth tracking and bagging.

richardhufford

Sharpest Tool
Apr 7, 2018
San Jose, AZ
First Name
Richard
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1959
Ross steering gearbox is "tighter" at the straight-ahead position
That's what I'm saying, so repositioning the steering wheel probably makes things worse. My wagon is probably a lot like Big Dog Frank's truck. My brother owns a cabin that's located in a Forest Service campground, and the neighbor told me he could recognize my car coming long before he could see me, because of the rattles. There's no way I'm parting it out, though!

airportops

Bigger Hammer
Jan 1, 2019
Conroe, Texas
First Name
Terry
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
I doubt that this is the cause of your mystery rattle but it may give you something to take into consideration while you try to pin it down. Yesterday we had a cool front come through and the temperature dropped about twenty degrees and this A.M. when I took the 2A out my cold weather rattle was back. I think it is the result of trying to hold to close tolerances on the last rebuild. A couple of good days of sunshine and it will quiet down again. Good Luck.

Big Dog Frank

Well Oiled
Feb 12, 2016
North Lawrence,Ohio
First Name
Frank
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1959
That's what I'm saying, so repositioning the steering wheel probably makes things worse. My wagon is probably a lot like Big Dog Frank's truck. My brother owns a cabin that's located in a Forest Service campground, and the neighbor told me he could recognize my car coming long before he could see me, because of the rattles. There's no way I'm parting it out, though!

I ain't parting mine out either.

tnestell

Precision Fit
Jun 13, 2010
Saginaw, Michigan
First Name
Ted
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1954
It sounds metallic, just like you would expect if that long cross brace was vibrating against the cab wall.... But ya know, since driving it 100 miles or so (in total) now, it seems to be settling down quite a bit. You don't hear it when you're rolling - only standing still at idle. And it's definitely not as bad as it was.
I get something like that when first starting the engine. Stops shortly after, the noise not the engine.

Last edited:

5JeepsAz

Sharpest Tool
May 10, 2021
Arizona
First Name
Paul
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1964
Had three noises. Different speeds, fwy, start stop, backing in. Couldnt figure it. One day a loudmouth ford mall crawler rolled up on me at a stop light. Some kind of modern bass vibrating so loud i coulnt hear my outlaw country boom box. What I could hear was all three rattles, same time, and me dead stop. It wasnt the truck. It was my various belongings. Resituated the things, padded a bit, silent runnings. No way i was parting with my rake shovel. Too valuable. Put a door mat under it.

JABJEEP

Well Oiled
Sep 20, 2017
Under a jeep in SE Wisconsin
First Name
Jeff
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
  2. Pickup
  3. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1955
  2. 1958
  3. 1962
I’m assembling a CJ2A motor and noticed that the rear main bearing cap drain tube was just loose enough to just barely contact the flywheel counterweight. Hopefully that’s not your problem too.

Tralehead

Well Oiled
Aug 29, 2018
Silverado, CA
First Name
Bob
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
FWIW, I get a funny metallic noise at idle too. Tracked down to the throwout bearing; does the noise go away when you depress the clutch?

Vintage Don

Well Oiled
All-Star
Oct 9, 2017
Medina, Ohio
First Name
Don
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1948
Was in an old battery shop this morning and saw some eye candy for Vintage Don.
View attachment 107157

Them are be- a - u - tee - full, Lookout!

@Tralehead thanks, but I am confident that it's not the throw-out. I can hear the throw-out, but this is more of a sheetmetal sound.

I need some time to get back on it. Been running around all weekend.

Stakebed

Well Oiled
All-Star
Mar 4, 2020
Northern California
First Name
Joe
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
Them are be- a - u - tee - full, Lookout!

@Tralehead thanks, but I am confident that it's not the throw-out. I can hear the throw-out, but this is more of a sheetmetal sound.

I need some time to get back on it. Been running around all weekend.
We want our old Vintage Don back. Not the celebrity attending car shows, visiting museums and generally being lauded everywhere. We want the Don that was covered in rust and grease everyday and shared his garage adventures with us. Where did that Don go to? :confused: