Final Color Choice for my 1961 SD. New Pic added!

nugilo

Sharpest Tool
Feb 6, 2010
Ann Arbor MI.
First Name
Nick
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1961
Well after a long year it looks like my Sedan Delivery will be ready for paint finally sometime this week. As excited as I am about this, I am nervous about how it will look when painted. I have been agonizing for months over what color to paint this thing. It has been so difficult because every color I come up with as an option, I find numerous reasons why not to use it. Also, I really have no idea how the vehicle will look when painted given I am trying to pick colors from smaill 2x3 color cards. Some of you may have seen some of the renderings that Dan did for me to help with my decision and those have been an amazing resource, although in some way, it has complicated the decsion by increasing the number of potential options.

Finally, I have made a decision. One thing that kept haunting me was this deep desire to at least use a color that was available in 61 so as to keep it as close to original as possible. I didn't think I wanted to go with the original Transport Yellow because I had visions in my head of some sort of Maroon or dark blue. Unfortunately, there weren't any 1961 colors that seemed to really jump out as clear choices so then I had a dilema. I then thought that maybe I would go with a non-1961 Willys color and expanded my search. This is when my brain really got scrambled. Well, any of you who have gone through a color search know that there are LOTS of choices. I just couldn't handle it. I searched through dozens of years and manufacturers and kept finding color after color that might work but had no clue how to decide. I finally gave up and decided to stick with a 1961 color after all. This is when I re-opened the idea of using the original Transport Yellow. I finally decided that the reason I was having so much difficulty is that I am a purist at heart and have been trying to keep this vehicle as original as possible so I struggled with deviating from it's original color. Thinking more about it, the original Transport Yellow would be unique and lends to the history of the vehicle. Though I have no proof of it, these wagons painted this way from the factory were often ordered for use by the airforce as airport support vehicles. Also, even though I thought I didn't love the color originally, I love the quirkiness of it and it will really make this wagon stand out in a crowd. So the picture below is close to how the final version will look. The lettering on the side is for our family rental property business and may change a bit in color and font. I am very excited about getting the paint on and begin re-assambly. I will be going with Black and Tan for interior colors.

image.php

PS. Of course, I reserve the right to change my mind completely, at the last minute, before clear coat is applied if I absolutely hate how it looks.

I will get some pics of the paint going on in my build thread soon.

Re: Final Color Choice for my 1961 SD. Paint goes on this we

I'm diggin' it, Nick. While i'm not a fan of the D.O.T color, I know you will do it justice and I'll still say...WOW. The two tone is very cool, and I think the interior colors will offset the exterior quite nicely. Would love to see the pieces and parts as they are completed before the whole thing is assembled. Keep us posted.
Steve

I like your choice of Transport Yellow....you sure will see it in the snow...I love it!

Nick,
That looks totally cool. I love that you're going with the original color. Like you I am more a purist, but I can understand your reluctance to go with the transport yellow, but I think it looks great in the rendering . The white panels help to pull it out of the DOT motor pool and into civilian use. It will be an eye catcher for sure. Once again I love it. Great job. I can't wait to see some pictures of the real thing.
:thumbupleft: :thumbupleft:

Nice selection!!!!

Will surely turn some heads...

Can't wait to see the pics of the real one though

Eric

Great choice on colors!!!! That will be one sharp ride. I really like the white on the roof . It keeps the yellow "under control".

Should turn out great,
Old Willy

That will look great. I painted an old International Cat yellow and cream once, it actually looked good except the poor body work I did. That is when I learned the old "if you can't feel it you can't see it" method of snading will leave you with low spots around every repair.....Still looked better than when I got it and was free paint.

So as one of the few who has painted a rig a similar color scheme I know it will look great.

I can't wait to be in your position with my Willys Wagon and my Willys Pickup picking out the colors. You made good choices and I'll bet that you will love it.

[attachment=0:2x2yonl6]DSCN2969.JPG[/attachment:2x2yonl6]
Although it is abvious not a Willys....it shows you what the combo look's like and I think its sickly....eye catching.
I believe you made an excellent choice....

Attachments

• DSCN2969.JPG
    DSCN2969.JPG
    287.6 KB · Views: 103

62 OlllO said:
[attachment=0:2qv6w5p9]DSCN2969.JPG[/attachment:2qv6w5p9]
Although it is abvious not a Willys....it shows you what the combo look's like and I think its sickly....eye catching.
I believe you made an excellent choice....

I'm pretty sure that is what I'm going to do with my wagon. If I thought my body work was good enough I'd consider black in place of white. I hate the way dust shows on black and it is hotter, I do live in Arizona. It would match my trailer better with black but for the above reasons white makes since. Thoughts?

My Trailer:
web.jpg

A lite color is the best choice for hiding imperfections in your body work, black shows eveything...to minimize waves I use a paint stir stick and wrap the wet/dry sand paper around it...using the stick keeps the sanding surface even (level)...use water to help clean the sand paper (lot's of water)....back and forth, back and forth....up & down, up & down...
I can't wait for pictures nugilo....fire up the camera

I think some how you will love it. :)

Cool realistic background Render. Thank you Dan for these great images.

image.php

nugilo said:
Cool realistic background Render. Thank you Dan for these great images.

When you get it painted, you will have to take a photo to match the rendering and post them together to see how the vision turned out...

Pete

Back