Oct 23, 2019
Virginia
First Name
Mark
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1958
I'm doing a '58 Wagon and am trying to make it look a little different. Does anyone know who if anyone supplies rear fender flares? I suppose I could make some but I'd rather purchase some in an effort to cut down my labor and capitalize on some one else's efforts. Thanks, Mark

I've seen some guys use CJ-7 flares and recut the wheel opening to match. Looks okay and gives more tire to body clearance.

I've seen some guys use CJ-7 flares and recut the wheel opening to match. Looks okay and gives more tire to body clearance.
I've seen someting like that before as well. Looks like S***.

I've seen a couple that were done nicely, but some skill in body work is needed. Nothing bolt on or easy.

Here’s an idea Mark. Replacement trailer fenders are available at Northern Tool at a reasonable price. Find one that suits your needs and cut the two edges off @ the width you desire, then weld, tab, bolt, rivet, screw them into place. A little body goop and paint wraps it up! That was the plan for my wagon but I decided to widen the rear wheel wells instead. Good luck:rolleyes:

Some interesting ideas. At least they have got me thinking. Apparently there aren't any flares available on the market. I'll have to get creative. The whole issue revolves around trying to get the largest tires on the Willys without cutting up the body. I think flares would make oversized tires look better but then there is the question of what is the largest size tire I can install using different rims and perhaps some spacers to extend the tires outside of the body. I'm not interested in trying to install a lift kit although I'd like about 2 more inches over stock. My springs are good and the stance is fine. The other tire issue is whether the tires will interfere with the front suspension. Lots of questions at this time. The Willys has a 350 SBC installed with disc brakes and power steering. It's going to be interesting to see how everything works out. Lots of work has been done on the body and now I 'm into the remaining items prior to doing the painting. I'm not trying to turn the rig into a rock crawler. Just a fun around the town vehicle with some off road trips.

The two most common clearance issues I have read about with wider than 215 size tires are:

-rubbing on steering linkage during full lock turning.

-rubbing on quarter panel (not radiused wheel openings) during full rear suspension articulation.

Thanks, are there some acceptable spacers that could be put between the wheel and the hub up front that would help the steering linkage issue? Could a little lift on the body help the rear quarter panel issue and could you suggest any sort of lift?

Thanks, are there some acceptable spacers that could be put between the wheel and the hub up front that would help the steering linkage issue? Could a little lift on the body help the rear quarter panel issue and could you suggest any sort of lift?
Nobody seems to like spacers.

Jeepsterman seems to offer the most inclusive lift kit. Springs, shackles, u-bolts, shocks, etc.

The PS addition helped the front. IMO, the largest tires you can fit under a wagon without some serious suspension (or Mickey Mouse) are 7.50-16 or 235/85/16. They are just shy of 32". Not sure in a 15" .

The PS addition helped the front. IMO, the largest tires you can fit under a wagon without some serious suspension (or Mickey Mouse) are 7.50-16 or 235/85/16. Not sure in a 15" .
I've heard the same with non-radiused (factory or Bubba) wheelwells.

I've heard the same with non-radiused (factory or Bubba) wheelwells.
Yes. Since Bowlman has a 58, I was only referring to non-radiused wheel wells. If you have an early model or a panel/derivation with arched wheel wells then there are more choices.

An honestly, I wouldn't go taller than 32" anyway without swapping axles to something with a wider track. That's just me.

I am confused. Does a "58 have radiused wheel wells and what's the difference between radiused and non'radiused? What width wheels would I need for the larger tires. and what is he bolt pattern? I ask these questions because I usually restore old Morgans andMG's to concours condition. This project is fun because there are a lot of options. I have a steep learning curve that I'm trying to climb.

A 58 wagon does not have radiused wheel wells. They have a flat top. early wagon and panels had these.

index.php

Interesting thread. I spent some time today on line in archives etc along with everyone's help and have decided that the 235-85-16's are the way to go using no spacers on perhaps 6.5 in rims with a 5x5.5 bolt pattern. Thanks. Lots more questions coming up.

Here’s the fender flares I’m using. I have to take off the tire to finish attaching it and I still need to cut a shape at each end.

D3268EFF-538A-4E03-9AD0-28084B6828CE.jpegAAD092DA-4653-44D3-850E-8BD6333FB482.jpeg

Interesting thread. I spent some time today on line in archives etc along with everyone's help and have decided that the 235-85-16's are the way to go using no spacers on perhaps 6.5 in rims with a 5x5.5 bolt pattern. Thanks. Lots more questions coming up.
That's what I'm about to install.
Falken Rubitrek LT235/85-R16 on US Wheel RatRod 16x7
Tires are not readily available at dealers, I buy mine on line.
Come to 31.7" tall. Not a reco for a 226 unless you're spinning 5:38's.

As for the BFG Mud whatevers, I've had bad experience with BFG KO2's and won't go back, tho everyone here loves 'em. Just my HO.

Come to 31.7" tall. Not a reco for a 226 unless you're spinning 5:38's.

As for the BFG Mud whatevers, I've had bad experience with BFG KO2's and won't go back, tho everyone here loves 'em. Just my HO.
I think 4:88's would be ok. That would put around 3400 @ 65 direct and 2500 with a 25% OD.
Disclaimer* I've never owned a 226 and may not have a clue of what I am talking about!

As far as BFG KOs. I think maybe some sizes and some applications may be better than others. I didn't like them at all on my Toyota pickup. I love the KM3 7.50R- 16s on my wagon.

Back