Apr 20, 2019
Albuquerque, NM
First Name
Cole
Willys Model
  1. Other
Willys Year:
  1. 1953
Hello! I have a '53 Willys project that was just sitting while I was in college and unfortunately I had to part it out to help pay for books and such. I still have the engine, which is an F4-134 Hurricane inline 4cyl, but I have absolutely no idea what the value of it is, in case I decide to sell it. Does anyone have any insight on this? Its been in my garage for a few years, it started and ran before I plucked it out of the jeep and to my knowledge it has not been rebuilt. Thanks!

I haven't tried to turn it over since I pulled it out of the jeep, but it still turns and definitely isn't frozen. Like I said, it did start and run before I removed it, but its been sitting in my garage (out of the elements) since it came out.

If you pull the plugs and do a compression test rotating each cylinder for 5-cyles, and you have all cylinders within 10 psi of each other it may assist a buyer. Also, it may be worth the cost of pulling the head if one cylinder is lower that the other 3. Could be debris holding a valve open in the seat.
When you look at the cost of engine kits @ $1k, and machining at $500, a solid engine is worth something, because most individuals are not engine builders. And we will probably never drive a willys long-enough to wear out a good running engine.
And make sure there is oil in the pan if you decide to do a comp check, and that will lube bearings too. I might even consider ATF instead of engine oil because it will flow through the passages and galleys easier.

Another nice thing of pulling the head, is you can lap the valve-seats and check piston bore diameter to know if it is Std, or Oversized.

I hope it is a good engine, and you find a happy buyer !

I seen one one on e-bay for $5,500 rebuilt like new. Just looking around because I acquired a 1960 cj-5 froze up and don't know what I'm up against. In the process of pulling the head. It was running and someone left the hood open in a frog choken rain.
But anyway.
It seems l-heads are everywhere and can get one without breaking the bank but it seems to me there are very few
F-heads out there.
I'm learning thow.

Back