Engine pictures

Yes, it IS! The distinctive exhaust manifold, F-head design are hallmarks of the F-6 161 Hurricane.

Makes me wonder why they didn't make the 161 in a bigger displacement? Seems like there was some potential there?

That was 'punched out' from 148. Willys Brazil continued them until 1970 or so with some breathing improvements, maybe a bit more compression but it remained 161 cid.

Those F-Head 161 engines are hard to come by. A larger displacement than 161 6 would be to long for standard jeepster engine bays but the 161's will more or less just bolt in with minor motor mount changes. I just recieved a 161 F-head myself that I will be putting in my 49 Jeepster.

peewee

Those F-Head 161 engines are hard to come by. A larger displacement than 161 6 would be to long for standard jeepster engine bays but the 161's will more or less just bolt in with minor motor mount changes. I just recieved a 161 F-head myself that I will be putting in my 49 Jeepster.

peewee
I'm building one now for mine.

You have a real classic engine there. If that is a 148 it is gold and you have it so clean too!

peewee

I have a great running L6 in my ‘50 Jeepster. What are the identifying clues (if any) to determine if one has a 148 L or a 161 L?
Serial number range?
Anything short of removing the head and specing out the cylinder diameter.

Being a truck guy I don't often check this site. I never knew they made an F head 6 banger. What all vehicles used them?

Being a truck guy I don't often check this site. I never knew they made an F head 6 banger. What all vehicles used them?
The F161 Hurricane was used in the 1952-1953 2wd Willys Station Wagon (Model 685) as well as in the Aero.

Since they were a near-perfect fit, many Willys dealers and owners would swap in a F161 Hurricane into the engine bay of a Jeepster.

Here's an older related thread: Willys F head Hurricane six.

Back