Feb 9, 2018
Henderson, Colorado
First Name
Kevin
Willys Model
  1. Jeepster
Willys Year:
  1. 1948
I am looking for info on the front engine mounting plate for a 1948 Jeepster with an L-141. Specifically, which way the motor mount ears should point.

My Jeepster came with an F-head. I am swapping out to an L-head. I have a couple of engine plates around from various parts I have acquired. The F-head that was installed had a mounting plate that had the motor mount "ears" pointing forward. I used this same plate on the L-141, and it seems that it is pushing the engine too far back in the engine bay. The rear of the engine is very close to the firewall, the clutch linkage is cramped, and it just doesn't seem right.

I have a mounting plate with the ears pointing back, but I am not sure if it is correct for the Jeepster. What is the correct mounting plate? Can one from a 2WD wagon or pickup be used?

Here is the current setup.

Thanks!

The F-4 I pulled out of mine were the same way. The six cylinder should point aft. The transmission mount doesn't change, that will set your position fore/aft. The engine mount frames that bolt to the front crossmember are much different, I made a pair as they are pretty scarce. I can send you my crude sketches if it comes to that.GOPR0732.JPG

hi
I have news for you. I have that motor mount plate, except it's on an engine that I am selling. I did find a plate on a 4 L military engine that was in an industrial use. Probably a generator. It looks like it might be what you are looking for. Both ears point towards the back. The left side has 2 sets of holes. I will check on this further.
diggerG

hi
I have news for you. I have that motor mount plate, except it's on an engine that I am selling. I did find a plate on a 4 L military engine that was in an industrial use. Probably a generator. It looks like it might be what you are looking for. Both ears point towards the back. The left side has 2 sets of holes. I will check on this further.
diggerG
I appreciate you looking! I know there are a few different plate styles - chain-driven vs gear driven for one. Not sure about the generator hanger or other things. Do you recon if I find one that is for gear driven and the proper setup for the generator I should be good to go?

I found one that I had in my Pile-O-Parts, but according to some references, it seems to be from an early pickup. I suppose I can pull the engine to see if it fits properly in between the motor mount brackets. Not sure how else to tell if it is a proper fit.

The F-4 I pulled out of mine were the same way. The six cylinder should point aft. The transmission mount doesn't change, that will set your position fore/aft. The engine mount frames that bolt to the front crossmember are much different, I made a pair as they are pretty scarce. I can send you my crude sketches if it comes to that.

Would you mind sending me your drawings? I would like to take a look at them to see if that will fix my issue. Not sure that the mounting plate I show above is going to work. Seems that it does not align very well, and the engine will sit too low.

Would you mind sending me your drawings? I would like to take a look at them to see if that will fix my issue. Not sure that the mounting plate I show above is going to work. Seems that it does not align very well, and the engine will sit too low.
Here you go. I made an impression from a friend's flat head six to get the profile. Your Pile-O-Parts plate is quite different than mine, I don't believe this would help much.

Attachments

• mount.jpg
    mount.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 10
  • GOPR0748.JPG
    GOPR0748.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 10
  • GOPR0749.JPG
    GOPR0749.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 10
I appreciate you looking! I know there are a few different plate styles - chain-driven vs gear driven for one. Not sure about the generator hanger or other things. Do you recon if I find one that is for gear driven and the proper setup for the generator I should be good to go?

I have not figured that out yet. Nothing but rain for about 8 days. and I'm injured.
Greg

just starting to get better. did you find a plate yet?
diggerG

Glad to hear you are on the mend!

I did not find a plate yet. Or I have. I REALLY don't know at this point. Seems that half the people I talk to say the mounting ears should be pointed back towards the firewall. Others say they should point towards the radiator (like I have). Regardless of what is said, it just seems to me that I need to push the engine a bit forward to get things to clear properly.

Any thoughts on that?

I'm on the mend and can investigate your issue now. I do have. plates to compare with.
Greg

If you still need the plate I think I figured it out. An MB motor mount plate will have 2 sets of holes 1 set for the MB the other set is also on the plate. They are lower and closer together. 1 hole may need some other drilling but the hole 's location is partially drilled in 1 plate but the re inforcement plate needs a hole to match. should be easy. $75.00 will cover it.
Greg

If you still need the plate I think I figured it out. An MB motor mount plate will have 2 sets of holes 1 set for the MB the other set is also on the plate. They are lower and closer together. 1 hole may need some other drilling but the hole 's location is partially drilled in 1 plate but the re inforcement plate needs a hole to match. should be easy. $75.00 will cover it.
Greg

Sorry for the slow reply. Could I bother you to post up a picture? I would like to see what direction the mounting tabs are pointing, and want to see how my accessories will match up.

Thanks for your help!

They point to the back and the gen bolts up like all the other 4 cyls do. Same place. I'll get some pics. May not be immediate. I'm super busy and have been sick. (Lymes disease) 6 weeks now.
Greg

Back