Dec 13, 2015
richland ms
First Name
james
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1949
Have a 49 willys wagon 4WD. Want to replace ny L134 engine with a Buick Dauntless 225 V-6, Need to know if I can use my existing transmission, and if so, what kind of adapters I would need. Thanks.

You'll need to change the input shaft to the longer version, plus a GM bell housing adapter. It would be easier to use the transmission and adapter that came with the Dauntless if it's available. Easier still to do the engine, transmission and transfer from a Dauntless powered CJ5 as a unit if you can. Look on the https://www.thecj2apage.com/FORUMS/forums.html and https://cj3b.info/ as well as http://www.earlycj5.com/xf_cj5/index.php There are several who have made this swap in early CJs. Also https://www.novak-adapt.com/ has a lot of information about various original parts and swaps.

Thanks a million. I will check those links out. Sure would like to keep and use my transmission and transfer case. I think mine is a T90. Also, mine is a wagon.

The Jeeps that used the Dauntless V-6 came with two basic drive trains, A T-14 manual transmission and a Spicer/Dana 18 transfer (CJ-5/CJ-6) or a T-14 and a Spicer/Dana model 20 transfer case (C-101 Jeepster). Some Jeepsters also had turbo Hydramatic 400 automatic transmissions with model 20 transfer cases.

Yes, you can use your T-90, but you will have to replace the input shaft, which requires removal and disassembly (complete rebuild). Also, your existing model 18 transfer case probably has a 1" intermediate shaft where the later versions used a larger stronger 1 1/8" shaft. Is the T-90 you have now side (steering column) or floor shift?

The T-14 is basically an updated T-90 with a couple advantages, those being strength and a synchronized 1st gear. They also have the longer input shaft. Jeep didn't put the V-6 in front of a T-90 for a reason.

If I were doing this swap, the first thing I would look for would be a complete CJ-5/CJ-6 engine and drive train. This will be the easiest way to go. All you need to do then is swap the twin shift levers onto the later stronger transfer case, and fabricate front engine mounts. Otherwise it's basically a bolt-in. You can probably find a T-14 with factory adapter (or a T-18/T-19 4-speed) for less money than it would cost to convert your existing T-90. Also keep in mind that your existing transmission and transfer case almost certainly needed to be rebuilt long ago.

I have the same wagon and did a Chevy V6 and SM420 swap. I had originally planned to use my stock transmission but changed my mind when I found an SM420 at a great price. I have the Nowak adapter that will go from the GM bell housing to your OEM transmission. Message message me if you’re interested in it

I am working a very similiar project. I also have a '49 4x4 wagon that I working on a 225 v6 oddfire engine conversion. I currently have everything apart to be rebuilt (T90 and Dana 18) but its all packed up from my recent move from Bakersfield back to home to Sturgis, MS. My plan is to use the oddfire 225 v6 with the rebuilt T90 and Dana 18. I also have a new Saturn overdrive to go on the back of the transfer case as well. It should be a good combination for a local fishing and hunting rig once its running. Its good to see anther '49 wagon in the Magnolia state!

Attachments

• IMG_0503.JPG
    IMG_0503.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 44
  • image0-2.jpeg
    image0-2.jpeg
    202.2 KB · Views: 44
Try advanced adapters they were really knowledgeable about the parts you will need I got all my conversion kitsch for mine from them

If you find a Jeep V-6 with the T-14 trans it should bolt up to your Dana 18 transfer case. And you'll be glad you did. Dam site betta than a T-90!
Thanks for that info. I know nothing about these engine conversions, except that I want to do it. Thanks, again.

I am working a very similiar project. I also have a '49 4x4 wagon that I working on a 225 v6 oddfire engine conversion. I currently have everything apart to be rebuilt (T90 and Dana 18) but its all packed up from my recent move from Bakersfield back to home to Sturgis, MS. My plan is to use the oddfire 225 v6 with the rebuilt T90 and Dana 18. I also have a new Saturn overdrive to go on the back of the transfer case as well. It should be a good combination for a local fishing and hunting rig once its running. Its good to see anther '49 wagon in the Magnolia state!
Yea, I am doing a complete restoration and didn't want to put the L134 back in it. Need a little more HP. problem is that I know nothing about these engine conversions. I'ma good mechanic, but only on stuff that is standard. But I will figure it out. I live in Richland, MS, which is 7 miles south on Hwy 49 south of Jackson. I am familiar with your area, as I used to travel that area before I retired.

I have the same wagon and did a Chevy V6 and SM420 swap. I had originally planned to use my stock transmission but changed my mind when I found an SM420 at a great price. I have the Nowak adapter that will go from the GM bell housing to your OEM transmission. Message message me if you’re interested in it
Will it work with the standard (short) transmission shaft.

Back