bernardo nm
First Name
john
Willys Model
  1. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1958
This is a glove box emblem, the door has an indent for it, appears to have been
glued on. I think it was removed prior to painting by the PO.
The tailgate has holes for probably a similar emblem, holes are 2 1/4 " apart.
I put the stick on letters. It's a 1958 CJ. They seem early for that model to me.
A lot of restoration was done before the PO got it. Maybe that has something
to do with it.
Any thoughts?
Thanks, John,,,,

Attachments

• IMG_20230525_181824.jpg
    IMG_20230525_181824.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20230525_180945.jpg
    IMG_20230525_180945.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 14
It's your Jeep, do what you like!
Bob, I was just curious if the emblems would have been used in 58.
Maybe on different models, or If not, maybe newer parts were used during restoration. Just researching the history of the old CJ.
Not important,no biggy, Just curious,,,

Last edited:
Bob, I was just curious if the emblems would have been used in 58.
Maybe on different models, or If not, maybe newer parts were used during restoration. Just researching the history of the old CJ.
Not important,no biggy, Just curious,,,
I've never seen that script Willys emblem, pretty cool. Don't think it was ever on a CJ though(?) I think glove box doors are the same size for trucks and wagons too, could be from one of those.
Guessing that tail gate was a blank latter model (late '60's) replacement, early ones had stamped "WILLYS". Someone may have drilled the holes for a latter model emblem, maybe "Jeep" with mounting posts(?) I've got some white 3M electrical tape that would make them kinda disappear.
Gotta love side mount spares!

Another that has not seen that Willys script emblem on anything. It is similar to that embossed on the front of the CJ toolboxes but much smaller. The best resource for dating tailgates is on Derek Redmond's 3B Page: http://cj3b.info/Dating/DatingTailgates.html

The embossed Willys tailgate was apparently used into 1963 but a non embossed later version or aftermarket are not an uncommon swap for beat up/rusted out originals.

Thanks John, the glove box door has a stamped flat for the emblem.
Didn't get the tailgate "whatever" when I bought it.

That kinda looks like the Willys Knight emblem Marcus (Gojeep) just embossed in his carry box.

I believe the two holes in the tailgate are for a "footman-loop". _ _ _ maybe.
The usual location for the footman loop holes is in the raised "oval" pads above that center boss. I'm not aware of any factory punched holes in that location.

Back