Electronic distributor question for my fellow Willys owners.

Tom V

Gear Grinder
Sep 15, 2013
San Diego
First Name
Tom
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1959
I installed an electronic distributor last week in my '59 Willys truck because I'd thought my old one may have started to fail. Now the truck won't start with conventional or electronic. The distributor does send a spark to number one and I have installed the electronic distributor both ways and I believe I wired the new one correctly with both the positive and negative leads from the distributor.

A little background: the truck was was rewired with a kit from Walks about six months ago. The carb was rebuilt about three years and 3000 miles ago. I just changed the spark plugs.

Prior to this about a week ago it was running but spewing black smoke and I played around with both the timing and also the screw on the back of the Carter yf carburetor, but it still spewed black smoke especially during a long idle. Sorry for the long description but basically for the life of me I cannot figure out what is wrong and whether it is a carb issue, distributor issue or unknown. I had trouble finding an accurate TDC with the thumb and screwdriver method and I ordered a TDC locator. I also used the reasonably new cap from the old distributor, on the electronic one.
Basically I have researched everything and am lost and would appreciate any input or advice on the matter.

Thank you in advance.
IMG-3810.jpg

Last edited:
I’m sorry you have to learn this lesson but that omix distributor is junk, they are 180 off TDC out of the box. As an added bonus the innards are pure garbage and the slightest voltage spike releasss the smoke rendering them unrepairable.
What would be a good replacement then?

Yes, mine works fine. I was just curious if someone makes a plug and play electronic replacement that is good.
Do you still have your old one? If so, I believe there are places that can rebuild it. Hopefully someone here will chime in on that, if not a thorough search for"vintage car rebuild er" will turn up something

Yes, mine works fine. I was just curious if someone makes a plug and play electronic replacement that is good.
I've had good success with the Pertronix module in my stock disty. My original intention was to eliminate the points and condenser. I went all in with their coil and wires as well. FWIW, I think there's one for sale in the classifieds ;)

Thank you. Kaiser Willys swears by them and Walks swears at them. With both the original one and electronic the engine will not fire on any cylinder, and when starting it sounds like the coil wire is pulled off.

Thank you. Kaiser Willys swears by them and Walks swears at them. With both the original one and electronic the engine will not fire on any cylinder, and when starting it sounds like the coil wire is pulled off.

Have you called the folks at Kaiser Willys and talked to them? What did they have to say?

I tried one of the Omix dizzy's on my 57 PU. Could never get it run right. Went to the Pertronix, and it failed in a month. They sent me a new one and it failed as well. No idea why. Finally installed an MSD ignition box with the original points dizzy and haven't had a problem in the 3 years it's been in.

Also, it looks like your coil requires an external resistor do you have one installed?

I tried one of the Omix dizzy's on my 57 PU. Could never get it run right. Went to the Pertronix, and it failed in a month. They sent me a new one and it failed as well. No idea why. Finally installed an MSD ignition box with the original points dizzy and haven't had a problem in the 3 years it's been in.

Also, it looks like your coil requires an external resistor do you have one installed?
I see one on the firewall that isn't wired :rolleyes:

I've had both Omix and Pertronix. I had issues with the Omix, the timing would jump all over, randomly moving up to 5 degrees. Also saw no evidence of the mechanical or vacuum advance actually working. Been running Pertronix and couldn't be happier.

How many miles do you have on it Gary. How is the wear on the points rub block. Have you had to adjust the points at all?

I had my 226 professionally rebuilt this summer. I bought an omicron electronic distributor. Out of the box it didn’t work. They sent a second one. Same thing. The supplier was good about it and provided a refund. We ended up cleaning up the old distributor with new condenser and points. I wasn’t able to locate any other suitable electronic options.

I had my 226 professionally rebuilt this summer. I bought an omicron electronic distributor. Out of the box it didn’t work. They sent a second one. Same thing. The supplier was good about it and provided a refund. We ended up cleaning up the old distributor with new condenser and points. I wasn’t able to locate any other suitable electronic options.
Sorry spell check issue omix not omicron…

Dang! You got the eyes! I had to blow up the pic to see that. And if that lead from the firewall doesn't go to a resistor mounted behind the dash,other there isn't one in the system...

Last edited:
I installed an electronic distributor last week in my '59 Willys truck because I'd thought my old one may have started to fail. Now the truck won't start with conventional or electronic. The distributor does send a spark to number one and I have installed the electronic distributor both ways and I believe I wired the new one correctly with both the positive and negative leads from the distributor.

A little background: the truck was was rewired with a kit from Walks about six months ago. The carb was rebuilt about three years and 3000 miles ago. I just changed the spark plugs.

Prior to this about a week ago it was running but spewing black smoke and I played around with both the timing and also the screw on the back of the Carter yf carburetor, but it still spewed black smoke especially during a long idle. Sorry for the long description but basically for the life of me I cannot figure out what is wrong and whether it is a carb issue, distributor issue or unknown. I had trouble finding an accurate TDC with the thumb and screwdriver method and I ordered a TDC locator. I also used the reasonably new cap from the old distributor, on the electronic one.
Basically I have researched everything and am lost and would appreciate any input or advice on the matter.

Thank you in advance.
View attachment 111715
I have electronic ignition on my 31 Model A Ford and so far it has worked great. I got my distributor from F.S. ignitions in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I recently had to replace a head gasket and upon reassembly I neglected to be sure the rotor was in the same position as before. Rather than drop the pan and realign the oil pump and distributor, I called F.S. ignition and spoke to Shawn. He was very helpful and explained that all I needed to do was make sure cylinder #1 was at top dead center (TDC).
With the distributor cap installed, mark the the side of the distributor body in line with the new #1 spark plug wire position.. Then remove the distributor cap and rotate the distributor clockwise until the center of the rotor is aligned with the mark you made on the distributor body. With that accomplished, tighten the retainng screw holding the distributor in place.
Reinstall the plug wires in the correct firing order and the engine should start. Finish timing using a timing light and you are DONE.
All of this is assuming the distributor has not been trashed.
I have the installation and trouble shooting instructions if you need them. Just P.M. me on this site.
- Denver 9

How many miles do you have on it Gary. How is the wear on the points rub block. Have you had to adjust the points at all?
Not a lot of miles, maybe 1000, but I've used this same setup years ago with a GM point style dizzy and it was still working 10 years later with 10K miles on it. The points themselves never seem to wear because all they do is trip the MSD box and don't switch much current. I never have looked at the rub block. The cars always started right up and ran well so I left it alone.

I have electronic ignition on my 31 Model A Ford and so far it has worked great. I got my distributor from F.S. ignitions in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I recently had to replace a head gasket and upon reassembly I neglected to be sure the rotor was in the same position as before. Rather than drop the pan and realign the oil pump and distributor, I called F.S. ignition and spoke to Shawn. He was very helpful and explained that all I needed to do was make sure cylinder #1 was at top dead center (TDC).
With the distributor cap installed, mark the the side of the distributor body in line with the new #1 spark plug wire position.. Then remove the distributor cap and rotate the distributor clockwise until the center of the rotor is aligned with the mark you made on the distributor body. With that accomplished, tighten the retainng screw holding the distributor in place.
Reinstall the plug wires in the correct firing order and the engine should start. Finish timing using a timing light and you are DONE.
All of this is assuming the distributor has not been trashed.
I have the installation and trouble shooting instructions if you need them. Just P.M. me on this site.
- Denver 9
Thank you.I have the omix ida directions,but I was wondering whether you or other members from the picture whether I installed it correctly

Back