Bigger Hammer
Dec 4, 2014
NH
First Name
William
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Can someone tell me what color wire goes to be the oil pressure sender, water temp and to the coil? I may have these mixed up

SeeJayTwo

Sharpest Tool
May 4, 2014
USA
First Name
KD
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
What three colors do you have?
1. First: Don't attach any wire. Whichever has voltage when key is on, is for the coil.
2. Next two, hook one up to oil pressure sender. If gauge registers when motor starts and climbs as revs go up, it's oil.
3. If not, try the other on the oil sender. Oil gauge should climb right away but temp takes more time to come off peg.

Testing voltage for no. 1: Do you know how? What meter or test light do you have? Advise before testing if you don't know how.

Not always good to go by colors. The manual I have, has no colors. They could have been changed by numerous previous owners. Either on your vehicle or on the person advising vehicle's wiring. Go by hand tracing/continuity/tests or by function.

Last edited:

WillyT

Bigger Hammer
Dec 4, 2014
NH
First Name
William
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
What three colors do you have?
1. First: Don't attach any wire. Whichever has voltage when key is on, is for the coil.
2. Next two, hook one up to oil pressure sender. If gauge registers when motor starts and climbs as revs go up, it's oil.
3. If not, try the other on the oil sender. Oil gauge should climb right away but temp takes more time to come off peg.

Testing voltage for no. 1: Do you know how? What meter or test light do you have? Advise before testing if you don't know how.

Not always good to go by colors. The manual I have, has no colors. They could have been changed by numerous previous owners. Either on your vehicle or on the person advising vehicle's wiring. Go by hand tracing/continuity/tests or by function.
Thanks Seajay2! The wires are black, green with a black tracer, and red. The wiring harness is only a few years old, I installed it new. The wagon is a 51- it had a Studebaker 259 in it, but it threw a bearing cap. I installed a 6-226 in it (required minor modifications) and am finalizing everything before I fire it off, the battery isn't installed yet.

SeeJayTwo

Sharpest Tool
May 4, 2014
USA
First Name
KD
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
Options:
1. If you don't have the harness instructions, contact the harness maker.
2. Wait till you get the battery in.
3. Advise what harness part number, and vendor, and someone can give color advice.
4. There is no stress on this. So keep going forward.
5. It's just a little hard to get the colors. We don't know if harness was built to a 51 Willys, a Studebaker or a 226 motor. :)

WillyT

Bigger Hammer
Dec 4, 2014
NH
First Name
William
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Options:
1. If you don't have the harness instructions, contact the harness maker.
2. Wait till you get the battery in.
3. Advise what harness part number, and vendor, and someone can give color advice.
4. There is no stress on this. So keep going forward.
5. It's just a little hard to get the colors. We don't know if harness was built to a 51 Willys, a Studebaker or a 226 motor. :)
Thanks it was built for a Willys wagon with a 226

SeeJayTwo

Sharpest Tool
May 4, 2014
USA
First Name
KD
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
Top of this page, hold down "Resources", scroll to "1954-1960 Service Manual........". Download to your files. See Section I (eye). Find 226 wiring diagram. Observe o diagram where each wire you have goes. Follow them on your harness to confirm which is which....... or use option lists in my posts.

Here it is also: Click

ALSO: Be aware that you said those wires were for coil, temp and oil............not us. You could be wrong.

Last edited:

dgbrown

Bigger Hammer
Oct 24, 2016
NH
First Name
Dan
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
What color wire is at each sensor? The temp and oil pressure sensors are far enough a part that they really shouldn't be hard to figure out. Follow the wires.

SeeJayTwo

Sharpest Tool
May 4, 2014
USA
First Name
KD
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
It seems he has three wires coming out of the firewall, or out of a harness bundle, and wants to know were they go on the motor.

WillyT

Bigger Hammer
Dec 4, 2014
NH
First Name
William
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Thanks for the help! I will be back working on it Sunday. Any luck I will fire it off.

Phaeton

Bigger Hammer
Jul 24, 2019
Minnesota
First Name
Paul
Willys Model
Jeepster
Willys Year:
In the harness for my Jeepster it is black to oil sender, red to temp and green with 2 black tracers to coil.

WillyT

Bigger Hammer
Dec 4, 2014
NH
First Name
William
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Thanks Phaeton, I will double check first using Seejay2's suggestions. Evidently different years/models could have used different schematics