Sep 17, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
First Name
Pete
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
Decided to run down to Moab for the FFFFR, since I'd never been before.
I Rolled out Thursday morning with Barnacle Will in tow. Friday morning, 56 flatfenders gathered in the dirt lot, and headed south of town to Hunter Canyon.
It was long day, 14 hours round trip, but epic.
Here's a vid of some of the highlights.

There were two major obstacles on the trail, with no go-around options. Getting that many jeeps through the tough spots took many hours and lots of winching. Barnacle Will made it through everything without needing to be winched, or breaking anything... I did knock some of the cake batter bondo off of the passenger front fender, but otherwise it did great.
Super happy with the front locker, and removing the interlock pill from the t-case. I didn't think it would make it through the hardest spot, but with a little effort it crawled right on through.

Can't wait to do it again.

Pete

Stakebed

Well Oiled
All-Star
Mar 4, 2020
Northern California
First Name
Joe
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
So no negative effects of the front locker trying to drive the Willys straight even with the tires turned?

scramboleer

Super Moderator
Staff member
All-Star
Aug 16, 2011
San Francisco, California
First Name
Dan
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1964
Awesome. It's so cool to see the early CJs out in their natural habitat with stock(ish) suspension, tires, motor, etc.

Pete

Founder/Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 17, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
First Name
Pete
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
So no negative effects of the front locker trying to drive the Willys straight even with the tires turned?
Definitely tougher to turn quick with the locker, but that's the beauty of removing the interlock pill. I can shift into 2wd and stay in low range, taking the torque off of the locker to turn. Then it's like the locker isn't there.

The spot where I smash the rock, was an instance of not being able to turn quick enough, and no time to shift either. Popping up over a ledge with some momentum and then needing to make a hard left, just pushed straight instead. The corner of the front bumper clipped the sandstone ledge and stopped me in my tracks.

That stretch was seriously difficult for the flatfenders, and I was one of three stock jeeps with lockers to make it without getting winched up.

In sandy stuff, one wheel will spin and still make the turn. On the slickrock, it just doesn't want to let you turn the steering wheel unless you take the torque off of the axle by either letting off the throttle or shifting into 2wd.

At such low speeds, I didn't think it was an issue at all. I don't think I'd want to be in 4wd at speed though, but don't think I'll ever need to do that in this jeep.

Gunnar Hafstad

Gear Grinder
Apr 3, 2014
Hollister CA
First Name
Gunnar
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1963
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the video and info on the front locker, I have a 3B that I am building, I put in a rear locker and was considering a front one, based on your comments, I think I will add a winch instead. Thanks again for the info, I might get out there for the FFFR in the future.

Pete

Founder/Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 17, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
First Name
Pete
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
I'm happy I did the front locker, for this jeep. If you are planning to do tough trails, I'd recommend it. None of the open diff jeeps made it through the hunter canyon trail without needing to be winched. Several of them broke axles trying. The wheel spin and then grabbing traction with the open diffs didn't end well for some.

That said, I don't think the front locker is necessary for every day use. I had thought about putting one in my wagon front axle, but can't really see a reason to do so at this point. I'll never attempt this kind of trail in the wagon. I have a Spartan locker in the rear of the wagon, and it makes a big difference. Any kind of heavy twist, where one wheel can come off the ground front and rear, is when the locker shines. Without it, you loose all traction in that situation, and are stuck. With the rear locker, you'll always have three wheels driving.

Pete