Easier to pull engine with or without bell housing?

nevada68

Gear Grinder
Apr 8, 2014
reno nv
First Name
ted
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1952
Hi,
new to the forum, I recently got a 52 willys wagon with a sbc 307 in it, I'll post some pics of my build in a couple of weeks.
I need to replace the freeze/expansion plugs in it. My question is, when pulling the engine, is it easier to pull it with the bellhousing attached (looks like 4 easy bolts) or remove engine from bellhousing (scraped knuckles and cursing getting to bolts). I don't see any need to pull the tranny.

thanks,
ted

Tom1956

Well Oiled
All-Star
Dec 20, 2011
Flushing Michigan
First Name
Tom
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
  2. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1955
  2. 1957
Hi Ted and welcome to the forum. There is a huge data base of information here.

I have about 3 or 4 motors out of these old trucks. The best way I have found to make it really easy, is, pull the hood, grill and radiator, pull the fenders, Then pull the motor, trans, and transfer case. It sounds like a lot but believe me, it is way easier and you'll be glad you did once it's over. Then while it's out you can check things out and clean it all up pretty. The last time we did that, My wife and I, pulled the motor and removed all mentioned above and got it all back together, it took us about 6 hours.
Good luck with it.

BigRod024

Bigger Hammer
Feb 16, 2012
Sierra foothills
First Name
Rod
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
  2. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1951
  2. 1953
That is great advice, but if you insist on pulling just the motor, then I'd pull it without the bellhousing. I find it easier to align the tranny input shaft with the clutch and pilot when putting the motor back in.

nevada68

Gear Grinder
Apr 8, 2014
reno nv
First Name
ted
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1952
Thanks for the advise. I never thought of removing grill or fenders. I guess I'll try removing the engine/tranny/trans. That will give me a chance to give it a good clean and get the years of gunk off all of it. I'm working outside, so hopefully the weather allows me to do it this weekend.