Sep 20, 2017
Under a jeep in SE Wisconsin
First Name
Jeff
Willys Model
Wagon, Pickup, CJ
Willys Year:
1955, 1958, 1962
It's been exactly 20 years since we last did Red Cone and the San Juans with my '62 CJ-5. I'm long overdue for another trip. Sadly, the only thing in the barn that's really running good enough for a trip is stock MB.....hmmmmm, that might actually be interesting.

FinoCJ

Sharpest Tool
Aug 28, 2019
Denver, CO
First Name
James
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Any club member coming to The San Juans can look me up as well. Love to talk old Willys show off my collection and possibly run a trail or 2. Coffee is on and adult beverages are okay.
There is talk of another early cj5 run in the San Juans again next summer...will keep you posted. My dream would be to take the 58 wagon, but my work will have me out of state for most of the winter, so after Dec, progress will mostly stall until May.

Tralehead

Precision Fit
All-Star
Aug 29, 2018
Silverado, CA
First Name
Bob
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Looking at all those pics makes me wish I still had my CJ5. Not that I don't like my Wagon, but there's something about the wind shield down, doors off experience.
A few years ago I did a mountain bike ride from Telluride to Moab. I remember a lot of it on old dirt roads; I wonder if that would make a good Jeep trip?

FinoCJ

Sharpest Tool
Aug 28, 2019
Denver, CO
First Name
James
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Looking at all those pics makes me wish I still had my CJ5. Not that I don't like my Wagon, but there's something about the wind shield down, doors off experience.
A few years ago I did a mountain bike ride from Telluride to Moab. I remember a lot of it on old dirt roads; I wonder if that would make a good Jeep trip?
There is a bit of an 'overlanding' route called the Rimrocker trail that goes from Montrose to Moab - there are some different variants of it as well including starting closer to Telluride. I'd like to drive that in the wagon for sure....

Tralehead

Precision Fit
All-Star
Aug 29, 2018
Silverado, CA
First Name
Bob
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
We did the San Juan Hut system route:
About 215 miles in 5 days, and the huts provided food, cooking gear etc. All we carried on our bikes were personal gear, clothing and in my case a bottle of cask strength (150 proof) MacAllan. A wee dram with a splash of Colorado spring water after a long day in the saddle is a welcome relief! Would be cool to do something like that in CJ's considering their limited carrying capacity but I'm liking James' idea of the RimRocker in Wagons.
FWIW, I am booking the above huts for my 70th (in 5 years); anybody up for a bike ride?