Door Removal

scottyd

Gear Grinder
Nov 24, 2009
Las Vegas
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Looking for some help on getting the doors off my 51 wagon. I have looked everywhere for a Phillips head to fit the screws for the hinges and have not had any luck.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks for everyones help.

73fj

Precision Fit
Oct 6, 2009
Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada
First Name
Chris
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
I had to drill mine out, not the best, but they are off. I tried an impact driver after heating them and they would not budge, so it was my only option.

splinterguy

Precision Fit
Oct 18, 2009
Catskill Mtns, NY
First Name
Ric
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
I had this same problem on my truck this past fall. :( This is what worked for me.

Sprayed with penetrating oil. I like PB Blaster. Then smack each screw with a hand held impact driver like the one jnichols suggests. A BFH works well with this tool. :) Then get a #3 phillips bit for a ratchet/breaker bar. Loosen each screw a bit and apply more PB. If you get the scews moving and they start to get harder to turn, drive them back in a bit, apply more PB and wait a day. This got five of the six out for me. The last required drilling. Drill carefully and get the last bit out with the right sized tap so you don't ruin the captured nut inside the jamb.

rcshook696

Bigger Hammer
Oct 27, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Scott, I too had those problems. Soaked them in PB for a couple of days. I broke the Harbor Freight hand held impact. To big of a BFH!!! Bought one from Sears. $20. Craftman. Used 3lb hammer. All 12 came out with little mutalalization. Chuck

scottyd

Gear Grinder
Nov 24, 2009
Las Vegas
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Thanks everyone, looks like I have my work cut out for me if I ever get a couple days off. I will start spraying the the penetrating oil in them soon.

jnichols thanks for the link, I have never seen a an impact driver before. The people at the Sunset store recognize me I'm in there a lot.

Gotta love this site you learn something here all the time :thumbup:

BioTex

Sharpest Tool
Nov 15, 2009
Alpine, TX
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Scotty,
Try acetone and ATF.

Machinist's Workshop magazine tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts. They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment. The results are as follows;
Penetrating oil........... Average load
None ...................... 516 pounds
WD-40 .................... 238 pounds
PB Blaster ................ 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ........... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil ................ 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix...........53 pounds
The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50-50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone.

rcshook696

Bigger Hammer
Oct 27, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Willys Model
Willys Year:
BioTex, your slam full of neat tricks!! I guess the ATF is just plain dextron? I had for gotten about Liquid Wrench. I guess it just came in a squirt can when I was a kid when my Dad Used it. I have used just ATF on farm implements to help break them rusty nuts, but it wasn't that great. Thanks for the great info.