Door locks? What am I not getting here...?

srelan

Knuckle Buster
Feb 21, 2010
Willys Model
Willys Year:
This is probably obvious as heck and an inside joke to those of you in the know. But, somebody please tell me why the original door lock configuration has no lock on the driver's side? I was looking for a matching locking pair as my '48 Wagon only has the one locking passenger side. Now I read online in a couple places that is the way it was supposed to be. I don't get it...

Just my opinion, but when they parked parallel to the curb, you would exit the vehicle to the left...good question however and my answer is only a guess. Glad you are on the forum.....keep posting!!!

I have no flippin clue on this one.
Other than you should lock your door with the key when you get out to make sure you have em???

My guess is back in the day it was law that you had to exit the passenger side for safety...simplified by bench seats... life was less hurried then.
My '53 Power Wagon is set up the same except lock is in door panel not the hardware...

Haven't checked it out completley but I'm thinking all I have to do on Willys is flip door handles from side to side say AbraKadabra and viola lock is on drivers door....anyone tried that yet?

Scott, is it possible that the button is just missing? I only ask this because back a few years my first Willys was a 49 pickup. It took me forever to finally realize it did have door locks (on both sides). I just needed to put the parts in. You might consider calling the authority on these. Paul Barry at Willys America. He's a busy guy, but I've always been able to get him on the phone to answer odd ball questions. 1-707-632-5258
Steve

62 OlllO said:
Just my opinion, but when they parked parallel to the curb, you would exit the vehicle to the left...good question however and my answer is only a guess. Glad you are on the forum.....keep posting!!!
Back in the day.....men walked between the ladyies and the curb so if a car went by and splashed up a little wet and dirty stuff the lady was protected , everyone over 10 years old smoked and cool guys slid over the seat to the curb....
Many cars of this era had locks only on the pass side.....I get a kick out of watching old movies and seeing the stars slid over the bench seat.....wonder when the tradition of opening the door for the ladies started or how the poor guy got his car locked :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aquawilly, no I don't mean the inside locking button. I mean the keyed door handle lock. Can't figure out why the drivers side wouldn't have a key.
I have to enter/exit through the passenger side, like one of the first replies mentioned. The parallel park, curb thing makes a little sense. I guess.

Anybody ever flipped them? Can passenger side keylock handle fit on drivers side and visa versa?

My 59 wagon has a driver side outside door lock, can't say if it is factory or if someone changed it, I'm pretty sure you can change them around.

My 59 wagon just has the key kock on the passanger side. If your locks (passanger & tail gate) are all keyed with the ignition key you've in good shape. I found that was the most challenging. ...but I never lock mine up anyway.

Figured I'd chime in....... locks on both doors and tailgate - all keyed the same.

Nope, ignition is different. No way I can be that lucky.

So, I can lock mine but I can't drive it yet ( gas tank next). I have to sit in it in the yard and pretend I'm stylin :D

I think my ignition is just a generic switch like you can buy at Advance or something.

Back