Disk brake parts list

rcshook696

Bigger Hammer
Oct 27, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Willys Model
Willys Year:
BioTex, could you send a list of the do-it-yourself disk brake parts list. Due to being married with children (oldest is a senior @ the University of Florida) I'll be doing 95% myself. Thanks

Here is what I have gleaned from various internet sites over the years and condensed it for when I needed it.

I would shop around using rockauto and NAPA etc., or even the local salvage yards for used parts. These are common GM parts, but you should purchase the rotors, brake hoses and small parts new. Last time I checked, NAPA had them for around $52 ea.

Calipers from a 71-78 Chevy 1/2 ton or light duty 3/4 ton 4×4 w/Dana 44
Federated part number 18-4046 and 18-4045

Caliper mounting brackets from 73-91 1/2 ton Chevy 4×4 (can be purchased new for $75 ea.)

Rotors from 77-78 CJ, rotors are 1 1/8? thick. (7/8? thick rotors from a late ‘78 on up will not fit!)
Federated part number 5356183R
Raybestos part number 3550R

10 longer wheel studs (Dorman PN 610106)

Wheel studs are 1/2? longer than original. Take an original in and match it up, it is a common
1/2? x 20 TPI thread, but the splines need to be longer to seat properly in the hub.

Chevy 1/2 ton brake hoses (2 needed)
Federated part number 36761BH
Raybestos part number BH36761
Bendix part number 77028

Banjo bolts (2 needed)
Edelman part number 13935

New anti-rattle clips.
Part number 5539

Disc Brake pads with semi-metallic linings.
Federated PGD52R

New caliper mounting pins. Use the ones with the round outer surface, and an Allen head. (The stock ones have an external hex-head)

The stock Dana steering knuckle will require some grinding to make a relief big enough for the inboard portion of the big Chevy caliper to clear. The area requiring the relief is in the area where the felt outer wiper for the axle tube ball bolts onto the knuckle, and the grinding can be done with the knuckle on the vehicle.
Throw the dust shields away, you don’t need them.

Attachments

• Caliper bracket.jpg
    Caliper bracket.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 145
  • Rotor.jpg
    Rotor.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 175
  • Brake Pad & Bolts.jpg
    Brake Pad & Bolts.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 145
Excellent info, thanks for posting...

Pete

There are a few really good sites out there that walk you through the swap. I don't have any personal experience with this swap yet. I already had that information in a word document that I was saving for the right time. I believe I got most of it from earlyCJ5.com
There was a good writeup in jpmagazine also. That is the site Scotty mentioned. I have spoken personally with others that have done the swap, and the concensus is that it is not really that difficult.

if you research the corect jeep parts. there were some model jeeps with inclosed knuckles that were made with disc brakes.if someone has some axcess to some parts number, would be good info to share!

Excellent info source,
thanks.
Just curious "federated" parts numbers
are those from your FLAPS???
if so what company?

Thanks,
Eric

Eric B said:
Excellent info source,
thanks.
Just curious "federated" parts numbers
are those from your FLAPS???
if so what company?

Thanks,
Eric

I have no idea who carries Federated. I'll have to research that one.

Did some hunting and Federated doesn't seem to show anything on line, but found that the calipers are coming from A1 Cardone, so I am suspecting that some of the other items related might be as well. I tried calling my FLAPS and they were able to cross reference #'s to trace it back for me.
FYI

Eric B said:
Did some hunting and Federated doesn't seem to show anything on line, but found that the calipers are coming from A1 Cardone, so I am suspecting that some of the other items related might be as well. I tried calling my FLAPS and they were able to cross reference #'s to trace it back for me.
FYI

If you come up with current prices, and better part numbers, will you post them here please. Last time I checked, NAPA had the rotors for around $55 ea.

Ran down the list with my FLAPS here today. Otherwise known as Checker/O'Reilly Auto parts.

Will work on getting accurate list with some pricing up later today. Pricing is local can sometimes change.

Alright here is the parts list I came up with from my FLAPS.

I have part #, part cost, and manufacturer

Cardone 18-4046 17.00 brake caliper
Cardone 18-4045 17.00 brake caliper
Raybestos 3550RGS 80.00 each brake rotors 1.185"
Dorman 610106 2.00 each (10 needed) longer wheel studs
Brake Best BH177028 19.99 each brake hoses for calipers
Brake Best MKB52 22.99 Semi-metallic brake pads for chevy calipers
Misc XXXX 3.00 Banjo bolts (2)
Caliper Mounts online from ebay for 75.00 each(just do a search for (Dana 27 brake conversion)
Misc XXXX 5.00 brake fluid

12 pack of your favorite adult beverage....(optional)

From what I can tell this list should be able to help just about anyone with getting what they need new off the shelf from your FLAPS.
I would rather spend a few bucks more and get it all this way then play the mix match game at the junkyard personally.

This is how I planned on doing it, so this helps me a great deal also.
Thanks

Eric,
Thanks for posting the info. The Caliper mounts, I would get from a salvage yard myself. The GM truck parts are everywhere, and would save $150 or so. That would keep the price around $300. Not bad for disc brakes!

True the GM parts are everywhere...... Most of the bone yards have been picked over here though.....

Please keep us posted with pictures as you go. I'm still planning the upgrade if I ever get the truck running...

Back