Aberdeen nsw Australia
First Name
john
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
Hi
Is anybody running a different carb on a 226, How does it go
My Carter was professionally rebuild last year and it seams to be starving for fuel
It is not all the time, after driving for 40 minutes without a problem it started lurching and or cutting out
I let it rest for a few minutes while I checked the pressure regulator and it went OK for a while (15 minutes) till I hit a hill and it died again

On the return trip it ran fine for an hour

It will usually perform alright until you call for more throttle then it does not like it and you have to back off to keep it going
At one stage it played up on the flat, I pulled up for 30 seconds to let the traffic past me and away it went

Has electronic fuel pump that is pumping about 16 gallons per hour so I don't think it is fuel delivery to Carb. ( I know it likes fuel but not that much )

I got about 12mpg yesterday, so at 45mph about 4 gallons per hour
The fuel pump is mounted on the chassis rail behind the front wheel so I can't get it much lower

It has electronic ignition so not points
Engine temp is normal
Ambient temp 50 to 60 deg F

Fuel tank was full it the start of the drive and 1/2 at the end
Pick up tube sucked all the fuel out of the tank when I tested the fuel pump
Fuel pressure regulator running 5psi
Engine revs 2500
Engine has only done a couple of hundred miles since total rebuild

I may get a pressure gauge and see if it is maintaining fuel pressure

Any Suggestions welcomed

Lookout Ranch

Well Oiled
All-Star
May 9, 2015
Sierra Foothills
First Name
Carter
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
Hi
Is anybody running a different carb on a 226, How does it go
My Carter was professionally rebuild last year and it seams to be starving for fuel
It is not all the time, after driving for 40 minutes without a problem it started lurching and or cutting out
I let it rest for a few minutes while I checked the pressure regulator and it went OK for a while (15 minutes) till I hit a hill and it died again

On the return trip it ran fine for an hour

It will usually perform alright until you call for more throttle then it does not like it and you have to back off to keep it going
At one stage it played up on the flat, I pulled up for 30 seconds to let the traffic past me and away it went

Has electronic fuel pump that is pumping about 16 gallons per hour so I don't think it is fuel delivery to Carb. ( I know it likes fuel but not that much )

I got about 12mpg yesterday, so at 45mph about 4 gallons per hour
The fuel pump is mounted on the chassis rail behind the front wheel so I can't get it much lower

It has electronic ignition so not points
Engine temp is normal
Ambient temp 50 to 60 deg F

Fuel tank was full it the start of the drive and 1/2 at the end
Pick up tube sucked all the fuel out of the tank when I tested the fuel pump
Fuel pressure regulator running 5psi
Engine revs 2500
Engine has only done a couple of hundred miles since total rebuild

I may get a pressure gauge and see if it is maintaining fuel pressure

Any Suggestions welcomed

It seems like there are a few possibilities:
1) The rebuild wasn't as professional as you hoped and something is wrong with the carburetor.
2) A filter is clogged someplace, either in the tank or some place in line. (My '57 had a clogged filter in the tank.)
3) You're getting a vapor lock.
4) The fuel pump isn't working right.

The stock Carter isn't a bad little carburetor. It has simplicity going for it. A rebuild kit costs less than US$30. It would be good to pinpoint the problem first, and then get the new carburetor if you still want one.

Blindmelon

Well Oiled
Aug 10, 2014
Agua Dulce, CA
First Name
Larry
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1950
In a perfect world you would be able to swap the carburetor for a good know one and
then road test it...I was sick of my Carter carburetor and tried a Weber, just like Pete.
That was 5 years ago.. The Weber REALLY improved overall driveability and performance.
The last problem my Carter gave me was a sticky throttle coming off idle..

I went to the Weber as a test.... It really does an excellent job for me.

edudley

Well Oiled
Mar 24, 2011
Indianapolis
First Name
Eric
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
I aree with Lookout Ranch. The carter works well for me. I rebuilt it 5 years ago and did have the throttle shaft re-bushed at that time. I currently have 8,000 miles on it ands it runs just fine. I drove it about 175 miles this past weekend. I run around 65mph most of the time (yes it has an overdrive). Blindmelon your sticky throttle was probaby a worn throttle shaft. Mine did not have a filter in the tank so I never put one back in. I run a good one up just ahead of the stock fuel pump. If I can help in any way PM me.

silicond17

Precision Fit
Nov 18, 2009
Clearwater, FL
First Name
Garrett
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1961
Vapor lock is a possibility. I've run into that a lot down here in hot south Florida. The way the fuel lines are run from my fuel pump to the carburetor on my 226, the fuel line passes right by the exhaust manifold, which could be problematic. I plan on wrapping it, and I had the exhaust manifold ceramic coated so that should help as well.

I've never been a big fan of the Carter YF, but it is simple and can be a good runner when it's put together right and not worn slap out. I'm a huge fan of the small Weber 2bbl carburetors. I put one on the 258 I6 I used to have in my CJ, and went from 12mpg to 18mpg. It's a progressive design, so unless you're really stepping on it, it's really like a small 1bbl. They are difficult to tune and get just right, but when you get it there, you will never have to touch it again. For most applications, the Webers will run too rich out of the box. They just flat don't jet them correctly from the factory. Mine was running rich, and the AMC 258 breathes a hell of a lot better than these old flathead 226s. I would call Weber and tell them your issues, and they will be more than happy to send some jets (or multiple jets to try). If I remember right, they're stupid simple to install. Just pull the top cover off the carburetor and they're in the bottom of the bowl. Weber tech support was very helpful and sent them to me free of charge.

But note on the Weber however, to make sure not to run it with the 2bbl intake manifold. The Willys/Kaiser 2bbl intake manifold is split between the throttle bores. So 3 cylinders go to 1 throttle bore, and the other 3 cylinders to the other throttle bore. Being a progressive 2bbl, the Weber will lean out 3 cylinders until you get into the secondary. With a 1bbl intake manifold and adapter, it gives it plenty of space to mix, but just for reference running a Weber on a 2bbl intake (without a very tall spacer), would be a bad idea.

Last edited:

Lookout Ranch

Well Oiled
All-Star
May 9, 2015
Sierra Foothills
First Name
Carter
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
Just to be clear, I'm not advocating keeping the Carter if a Weber will be better, and it sounds like it could well be. But the rig should run fine with a properly rebuilt Carter, however inferior it may be. I just think it makes sense to isolate the problem that prompted the initial post before introducing another variable.

bkhart

Bigger Hammer
Jun 6, 2013
Florida
First Name
Benson
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1962
Along this same line I have 2 questions. My 62 L226 wagon carb shows the same problem before & after repair. It idles as long as there's fuel in the tank, and will run at upper speeds just fine, but getting from an idle to full speed is tricky. I can pick up and maintain the revs by hand manipulation of throttle with the hood up with just a small stumble, but using the gas pedal I usually loose power and the motor dies. Some times I can get all the way to upper speeds but it takes a lot of feathering to get there. It is not feasible to drive under these conditions, stalling at every stop sign. Everything is original, carb rebuild and tune up not very many miles past, haven't checked fuel pressure but it flows freely when checked. Carter YF.
Also, will the Carter YF from an earlier L4-134 work on my 226? I have a chance to pick one up for about $10, I always like having spare parts around. Thanks

Lookout Ranch

Well Oiled
All-Star
May 9, 2015
Sierra Foothills
First Name
Carter
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
When you rev the throttle by hand under the hood it's fine, but when you rev it using your foot on the throttle it isn't? Will it sustain high revs once achieved in both cases?

What is the history of this problem? Did it develop slowly or suddenly, or has it been this way for as long as you've had it?

Is there a chance that you replicated a problem when you rebuilt the carburetor? In other words, if you took it apart and put it back together the same way, and there was something wrong with the way it was, the rebuild may not have fixed it.

Are you using the oil bath filter? If so, have you tried driving it without it?

Is there a vacuum leak someplace?

Is the carb firmly bolted down?

If you can rule out those kinds of things, then I'd look at the volume/pressure of gas flow. Some of the symptoms sound like it's starving for fuel under load. Some of these have a filter in the tank that can get clogged. (It happened to me.)

bkhart

Bigger Hammer
Jun 6, 2013
Florida
First Name
Benson
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1962
Really leaning more along the lines of a vacuum leak, the problem started suddenly and I don't drive it much anyway. But I really think more vac./ supply issue. Thanks, I'm fixing the broken drivers side rear axel currently and will go back to carb system later.

Lookout Ranch

Well Oiled
All-Star
May 9, 2015
Sierra Foothills
First Name
Carter
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
Maybe try draining the tank and putting fresh gas in.

Then, unhook the gas line just before the carb and using compressed air via the gas tank filler, push the fresh gas through the line. It should flow through pretty easily if not blocked someplace.

Your symptoms could be consistent with old gas or water in the system.

If you don't drive it much, that's a possibility.

Seabee

Precision Fit
Dec 23, 2014
Mulkeytown, IL
First Name
Joe
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1952
Try relocating the fuel pump much closer to the tank. Most electric pumps push fuel very well, but don't pull fuel very well.