Difference in Quality from different vendors?

homewood4

Precision Fit
Oct 23, 2009
Citrus Heights & Tahoe
First Name
Greg
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1954
Been putting together my wish list and have noticed significant diference in pricing betweem kaiser-willys and walcks...
The parts numbers match up between the two ..does this mean the parts are the same? Is there as diffrence in quality between these two vendors?

Hows service quotient of the two?

Thanks

W/A claims some of their repro parts are made specific for them, and are equal or better than OEM. My experience is that the customer service is the same between the two. For the money, I would purchase Walck's. Sometimes ½ the price. No quality issues so far.

I buy from both venders. It depends on price and where it is made for me. Both have outstanding service, Kaiser willys would not sale me a pitmen arm or kit for my willys until I had it off to make sure I got exactly what I needed. Both are great venders for parts.

BioTex and oldpeople2 -
Thanks for the feedback.
Sounds like both are reputable - what else would I expect from Willys people?

On Pirate I read that there are issues with some of the (left lower rear) body panels. If I remember correctly the companies you mentioned both get them from the same mfg and the dies that they use are old and worn out. But they made other body pieces that were good.

Steve

Both vendors are very good, Walcks is normally less expensive

BEING IN THE BUSINESS AND NOT BEING ABLE TO BUY MUCH OF THE TRUCK AND WAGON STUFF FROM MY MAIN WHOLESALE SUPPLIERS I DO MOST MY SPECIALTIE BUYING THROUGH WALCKS AS SHIPPING IS RIGHT ON AND I'VE NOTICED PRICES SEEM TO BE THE BEST

RYAN

WWW.THE-JEEP-GUY.COM

My vote goes to Carl Walck - He's king back here in NE PA! It's a family run business, he sponsors(door prizes) Great Willys Picnic (2nd sun in June), brings two beautiful jeepsters, and we all try to pick his brain whatever we're driving...

I've gotten parts for all my projects there - but I also have to put in a good word for Shelley at The Jeepsterman (NJ) - she's got all the repro stuff for interior detailing wagons/pickups plus prices a hair better than Carl on some stuff... and speaking of family run - her dad Morris Ratner was THE KING, the father of all the vendors offering Willys goods to us maniacs!! A little slower shipping, a little less user friendly (at least when Morris would answer the phone!- but he sure knew his stuff), no credit cards, but good people and probably more stuff available than I've personally gone looking for.

I too have experienced excellent service from Carl Walck. You give him a call, tell him what you need and it goes right out. I often have it the next day.

I just got off the phone with Walck's. I was going to order left and right quarters for my wagon...I tried to do it on-line but their site wouldn't let me sign in, so I called...The internet price with shipping was better than his price on the phone...he gave me the run around how he couldn't guarantee them not being bent if I went UPS, he wanted to ship by truck for $100 some dollars, then he told me he could "CUT" them in Half, ship UPS for $40.00 and they would arrive OK, but in Half....Does this guy know what he is doing!!!!! HE F*&%#@* P&^^$% ME OFF...Internet Price: $167.95 each ($335.90 + 38.59 Shipping = $374.49) He wouldn't sell them to me unless I wanted them in half....no where does it say that he would cut them in half....I might buy from someone else....jerk!

Kaiser took my order and their front page say's Free Shipping over $150....waiting for their final answer...

Kevin,
Sorry to hear of your bad experience with Walcks. I have always had great service from them. I have heard of cutting the quarters in half from another vendor. Has to do with the length and shipping restrictions from Brown and the other parcel guys. They do not like large (long, wide) parcels. It will be interesting to hear how you make out with Kaiser.

No where in the vendors ads do they mention that they have to "cut" the quarters in half for shipping...while the ad shows a full quarter panel....Midnightburn quarters don't look like they where cut in half...anyone else out there that have purchased quarters for a wagon?

It's all in the money...Kaiser wouldn't give me free shipping, with shipping that order would have been $500+, so I called up Walcks and ate my words and ordered from them....$460.90 shipped by truck not UPS. Being the Holiday Season I hope they don't get damaged in shipping. No body said this Hobby was inexpensive...

The panels arrived yesterday in good shape....careful of those SHARP edges...have band-aids close by and wear leather gloves. This purchased took a major hit on my budget....ouch.

62 OlllO said:
The panels arrived yesterday in good shape....careful of those SHARP edges...have band-aids close by and wear leather gloves. This purchased took a major hit on my budget....ouch.

Never grab sheet metal by the sides. Always from top or bottom. If grabbed by the sides there is too great a chance of it slipping and slicing. If grabbed from the top and it slips it can only fall to the ground.....less stitches with this method ;)

Hear ya on the budget thingie....shall we commiserate? :cheers: ;)

TT

So here is a question I hope is close enough on topic...Who should I go through to find a bed for my truck? My wallet cries big croc tears when I look at the prices through Kaiser and Willy's America, is there anywhere to find used ones? Or should I bite the bullet, buy the disassembled "new" ones, and buy enough beer to convince someone with good welding skills to take it on?

JBingham said:
So here is a question I hope is close enough on topic...Who should I go through to find a bed for my truck? My wallet cries big croc tears when I look at the prices through Kaiser and Willy's America, is there anywhere to find used ones? Or should I bite the bullet, buy the disassembled "new" ones, and buy enough beer to convince someone with good welding skills to take it on?

I would suggest that you keep a constant eye out on craigslist.org. That's where I found all three of my vehicles. There are some great deals there. I'm of the opinion that if you have the time and wait long enough you can find just about everything you'd ever need there for free....and if you can't wait that long you can surely find a great deal on what you're looking for.

Recently there was a truck body (cab and bed) going for $600.00 and the front was precut to make it a tilting front end....I was tempted ;)

I keep several craigslist tabs open for my state and often I keep several other craigslist tabs open for the states surrounding me.

Good luck! and atb!

TT

Back