Desert farm find of FC galore!!

Bob, who is head of your house??? Are you a man or a mouse?
Com'on squeak up!
:)
It's just an excuse for saying there really isn't anything there that would float my boat. I respect those who can do the kind and amount of work it would take to get any of those vehicles up and running but I've got other things I'd rather spend my money and time on.
That "rare" military FC van is way cool, and I would love to see it brought back to life, but I'll stick with my 4x Sprinter. (goes further, faster, and in more comfort :) )

O/T: I'm always amazed at the amount of crap people collect when they move to the country, and that farm is classic example. Happens in my 'hood as well. I suppose it takes more mind than money to ask oneself "when am I ever gonna get it done?" ;)
One other thing: there is some real junk posted up for auction on that site; are people really gonna bid on a couple of old water troughs? :rolleyes:

It's just an excuse for saying there really isn't anything there that would float my boat. I respect those who can do the kind and amount of work it would take to get any of those vehicles up and running but I've got other things I'd rather spend my money and time on.
One other thing: there is some real junk posted up for auction on that site; are people really gonna bid on a couple of old water troughs? :rolleyes:
Yeah, I didn't see anything there that I would want either. A lot of junk.

True Dat! The M-677 gang has already rounded up what is known to exist in this universe just to get a few of them to actually run. ONLY a true M Series FC purist would even want one of them. Stinky, smokey, noisy..........think early Detroit Diesel two stroker.
What from the era is comparable? I am not a purist, but personally, for my long term project, a Japanese diesel doesn't fit into my goal.
So I am looking 60's-70's diesel, preferably American made but would settle for say a Perkins 203 since the 192 was offered by Jeep. What else should I have on my radar?

Reminded me of a very bad running 3-53 jimmy...I would swap a 3-53 into one but it would be to heavy on the front axel...best engine to throw overboard...Phil
Amen! I worked on tons of GM two-stroke diesels in the Seabees. The government must have gotten a blue light special on them back in the day. I will say, from a logistical standpoint it was a smart move. Lots less fewer repair parts to have to take on a deployment. The cylinder kits, injectors, etc. would normally interchange between a 3,4,6,8 or 12 cylinder of the same CI series 53,71,92 etc.. The problem was, they got used a lot! They were a great engine for stationary or marine power, as they like to run at governed speed for days on end. We actually had them in every kind of construction equipment you can think of. A real pain to listen to all day! I have seen too many "run away" from improperly adjusted fuel racks or failed blower seals. That will take years off of your life!

Last year I bid $750 on a scout with a Sd33t diesel in Hesperia on bid fast & last. i went back to the website the day after the auction & found it sold for $800. There was an FC150 tow truck that sold for about $2000.
the M-677 in this auction looks pretty hacked up. The cerlist engine is long gone, still valuable imho.
all the FCs in this sale look pretty hacked up except the red FC150.
I like the M37 they’re calling a Jeep pickup with a Chrysler Hemi under the ragged hood!

I had an air cooled duetz engine I’d pulled from a lebehr excavator laying around for a few years before it fell into a scrap metal load.
Here’s one on YT in a Willys pu

Duetz were good little air cooled diesel. I have one in a Same Corsaro 70 hp 4x4 tractor.

If you ever had to pull that Ford 6 cyl, you have to take the cab all apart. On one of the 2 passenger models, we put a piano hinge across the front and converted it to a tilt cab. But I don't remember it ever being fun.
Now the 275 HP Cummins Hydro Static Bombardier Cats were fun!!

View attachment 108389
One year in the late 70's working at Squaw Valley we installed a 391 Ford Industrial V8 4 barrel with an Allison 4 speed automatic in a Thiokol 2100. that thing would Drift sidways and throw Rooster Tails.
View attachment 108388

Very interesting history of the Thiokol machines Rodney, and you'd be one to be familiar with these machines.
Being an alpine snow skier of 54 years, I always wanted to run a snow groomer, but, if I am going to be on the ski hill I figured I may as well spend my time on two skis, so i never have operated one. The newer Bombardier groomers are cool, and probably mostly hydraulic drive. Yes, I would love to operate one of the newer Bombardier groomers, which are very commonly seen at ski parks today.

Bid Fast and Last
#642 • 30 inch Antique Gravel Scoop:
My Dad years ago told me his father worked on constructing the raised stretch of highway (what I call the causeway) just east of Chester, Ca., using one of these horse drawn dump buckets when he was a young man. Him and my grandma lived year round in a canvas wall tent enduring long winters averaging 4-feet of snow on the ground there in Chester with raised wood floor and wood burning stove. I don't believe they had internet service back then either ! :)
I have one of these in the planter by our front gate, which of course, I sourced from my Dad years ago.

Very interesting history of the Thiokol machines Rodney, and you'd be one to be familiar with these machines.
Being an alpine snow skier of 54 years, I always wanted to run a snow groomer, but, if I am going to be on the ski hill I figured I may as well spend my time on two skis, so i never have operated one. The newer Bombardier groomers are cool, and probably mostly hydraulic drive. Yes, I would love to operate one of the newer Bombardier groomers, which are very commonly seen at ski parks today.

Bid Fast and Last
#642 • 30 inch Antique Gravel Scoop:
My Dad years ago told me his father worked on constructing the raised stretch of highway (what I call the causeway) just east of Chester, Ca., using one of these horse drawn dump buckets when he was a young man. Him and my grandma lived year round in a canvas wall tent enduring long winters averaging 4-feet of snow on the ground there in Chester with raised wood floor and wood burning stove. I don't believe they had internet service back then either ! :)
I have one of these in the planter by our front gate, which of course, I sourced from my Dad years ago.

As of about 10 years ago, the New Bombardiaers were bought out and the name changed to Prinoth.

The FC Ambulance went for $19,250

Back