Gear Grinder
Aug 12, 2013
Paradise, California
First Name
TeeRoy
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
I have started a new project: I have a 1962 Willy's pickup and I am swaping in a Cummins 4BT in place of the original I-6 that has began knocking and needs a total restoration/rebuild.

Has anyone done this sort of swap? I am wondering if I need to put a small body lift to be able to fit this engine? I am also wondering if I need to put new leaf springs since mine are really sagging and are all 10 stack leafs, front and rear. Wondering: should I go with 2 inch lift leaf springs to give a little more give for this heavy diesel engine that weighs over 570 lbs. I know I will have to reinforce the frame where I install the motor mounts.

I bought a 1998 Hostess Twinky truck with 4BT and 5 speed manual tranny to use on this swap. I am gonna try to use as much as possible from this donor truck. It has power steering and I want to keep the original steering system for now and wondering if I can trade the power steering pump for an A/C compressor so I can make it a proper California vehicle that I will use all seasons and don't want to roast driving down the highway in the summer.

I am building this truck for my dentist in trade of dentistry work on my mouth. I will get $40/hour trade for doing this swap. This whole swap is my dentists idea/request and I told him, "No, I cannot put in a 6BT into that old truck, I will try to see what I can do with the 4BT which is smaller size and at least 250 lbs. lighter.

Any help with this swap would be great. I am a newbie with diesel swaps. I swapped out my I-6 in 1987 Landcrusier for a 1987 Corvette fuel injected engine, which gave me ALOT of experience and I love the outcome! It has plenty of power, and actually increase the MPG by 2 to 3 MPG, due to the sluggy, heavy orginal I-6 that with stock tires got 12 MPG in town and 14 MPG max on hwy. With new 5.7L corvette engine, I did a 1000 mile trip and got 16-17 MPG on highway with my 35 inch tires.

If anyone needs a rebuildable stock 1962 I-6 super hurricane engine with a knock, I have one that I believe ihas worn out main bearings, since it isn't a clack clack valve kind of sound, it is a knock knock sound. Before pulling this engine, I recorded video on it running and will send it to anyone who has an ear for these things and can tell me what they believe is wrong with this engine with unknown miles on it. If anyone is interested, please send me an email.

thanks, :p

troyskibert

Gear Grinder
Aug 12, 2013
Paradise, California
First Name
TeeRoy
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
Can someone recommend a good 2.5" lift kit with all new springs, shocks, shackles, etc. I used a 3 1/2" Old Man Emu kit for my 1987 FJ60 Landcrusier project, which had springs, shocks, shackle reversal for front, and reinforced rear lift shackles, steel braided brake lines, and a couple other things. Unfortunately, Old Man Emu doesn't offer one for the 1962 Willys Pickup- I guess they don't have many of these running around Australia where Old Man Emu is made.
I want to fit 33" tires under it and also try to give more room for 4BT. I'm hoping I wont have to do any body lifting, since I am building this for my 66 year old dentist who doesn't want a "monster truck" he says. I am ready to pull the old 226 I-6 engine and transmission and will be able to measure more accurately when everything is out of the way. If you know of anyone who is interested in motor and/or trans, please have them email me at: troyskibert @ yahoo.com or call me at: (530) eight seven seven, seven nine four four. I live in Paradise, California.

Willysfan

Precision Fit
Oct 16, 2009
Kuna, Idaho
First Name
Gary
Willys Model
Wagon, Pickup
Willys Year:
I was considering putting wrangler Old Man Emu springs in my wagon. Would have to use different spring perches as the springs were longer. My friend has a shop where he puts old man emu wrangler springs on suzuki samurai's and sells the kits to relocate the mounts. I could send you his phone number and e mail address if interested. Good luck with your project and keep us updated. My truck has 33's and no lift. I used Rancho springs, which are very stiff. I use to live in Paradise, nice country.

troyskibert

Gear Grinder
Aug 12, 2013
Paradise, California
First Name
TeeRoy
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
Thanks for the reply Willysfan~ Please do send me the info for this bracket man for newer leaf springs. You said you have rancho springs on yer pickup, did you go with "stock" height springs to get 33's under it and if so, what type of leafs fits these Willys trucks? Are the width of leaf springs needed for my 1962 pickup fit another application such as a certain year of Wranger or CJ or something like that or are the leaf springs you got only for Willy pickups 1954-1962? I didn't do any leaf spring measuring yet, but I am figuring I need to do something newer with these existing springs which are beyond flat...I don't know how it rode before swap, but I would like to give the Doc (what I call the Dentist Im building this for), a solid, stable custom ride.
You moved from Paradise, CA all the way down to Riverside County WillysFan? I think I would go cooky down there in Southern CAL w/o the giant backwoods we have up in in the sierra nevada's of NorCAL after growing up in Alaska, this move was a shock enough!
I am eager to get this engine out so I can see if this project will evenwork with this 4BT or if I will have to go with a smaller diesel engine such as a VW or Izuzi, or something? I hope not, since I've got this 4BT engine already. I decided on this engine after doing research on the dimensions of the 4BT online and didn't take into account that the measurements given, were just the Long Block part of the engine, not all the other jaz on either side of the engine, such as the turbo innercooler hoses and injector pump stuff. The numbers said online said~19 inches wide and when I measured the box van yesterday, I got almost 30 inches wide with all this stuff on it. I will try to figure out a way to divert the air intake, but don't know if I will have enough room to re-rout the innercooler hoses as they come off the passenger side of engine at a 90 degree angle and this "sticks out" quite a bit on that side and is a large metal 3-4 inch pipe that is the 90 degree part. I will show pics of dry fit of engine attached to my 10 foot hoist. I guess this will tell me if it is possible to even close the hood.:)
Thanks again and I hope to hear from some more of with Willys experience/knowlede~

Willysfan

Precision Fit
Oct 16, 2009
Kuna, Idaho
First Name
Gary
Willys Model
Wagon, Pickup
Willys Year:
I wouldn't recommend the Rancho leaf springs because they are really stiff, like riding in covered wagon. A good spring shop could make what your looking for. The company that sells the set up for wrangler springs on a Suzuki is Petroworks in Fallbrook, Ca. They do strictly suzuki sidekick, samurai, and Geo tracker vehicles. I have seen the old man emu springs on a 55 willys jeep that were for a wrangler and the owner was very happy with the way they worked. I'll PM you with the owner of Petroworks cell phone number. I do miss the Paradise and Chico area, had to move for a job. Now retired, if I move again it will be out of California.