Cowl Brass tag left side. Anyone sell them?

Moriazbane

Sharpest Tool
Jan 27, 2017
Mount Vernon IL
First Name
Scott
Willys Model
  1. Jeepster
Willys Year:
  1. 1948
When I was working on the body, I was grinding off a bunch of dent bondo on the lower cowl outside and hit a small oval brass tag I didn't know was there under the bondo. I managed to grind part of the name off, seems like it said Jeep on it. I need another one like a hole in the head, but it doesn't make me not want another one anyway. I don't see one offered on the web.

Here are a few pictures of Jeepster with the "Jeep" medallion on the lower cowl:

16766_da3c6f943f39jd_1950_willysjeepster_wm5.jpg

59907240-770-0@2X.jpg

ebay131261.jpg

59682940-770-0@2X.jpg

It doesn't look like anyone sells them, although they do pop up on eBay from time-to-time.

Here is the full text from Willys America from ewillys:

“The brass medallion (http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTIyWDEyODA=/z/L8YAAOxyaTxTQe2g/$_57.JPG) was found on April to November 1950 1/2 production Wagons, Jeepsters, and Trucks. It was riveted to the driver’s side lower cowl just about the fender extension. The vehicles also featured a ‘4’ or a ‘6’ on the Hood Ornament – representing the motor’s cylinder count. Both the Medallion and the special Hood Ornament were discontinued later in the this (1950) production year.”

Willys America Restoration Guide, page 26

$_57.JPG

That's what it WAS. I had ground most of it off before I realized it was more than just some brazed area. It does date the body for me, but it was bought by the previous owner and put on a different frame. He took a car that was too rusty to save and bought a nice frame somewhere and a rusted '50 wrecked body from somewhere else and thought he was gaining.

What's interesting is that my truck is in that year range yet it didn't have that brass plate but every 1951 truck I've seen has had it including the 1951 Parts Truck I used for my truck.

Very good point. I don't have any facts, but it seems like the 1950.5 transition was a bit loose.

Seeing as the front sheetmetal and doors on my Jeepster are '48, and the guy bought a wrecked '50.5 to fix it with, I guess I don't want it after all. (Had to use street rod bearclaw latches because of the year difference, not that the safety factor bothered me too much. And got rid of the outside latches.)

Very good point. I don't have any facts, but it seems like the 1950.5 transition was a bit loose.
One plant could have run out early, or they ran out then found another crate or more sitting around. Or the production line and title stamping got messed up. (Really, Jeep?) Or as we well know dealerships could have altered the year on the tag or re stamped the VIN.
diggerG

Back