Correct stock factory wheels (rims)

All of the non special government contract 4WD wagons left the factory with 15 inch wheels and without hubcaps including the Mavericks. Only the 2WD wagons came with hub caps. The dealers did carry Willys authorized accessory wheel covers (not hubcaps) that were manufactured by Cutlass. They looked like giant size baby moon wheel covers. The dealers also offered 16 inch wheels as an accessory and were required to paint them the same color as the vehicle or the bottom color if the wagon had the deluxe 2 tone paint job. According to a old service bulletin I read, Willys dropped the requirement to repaint them sometime in the late 1950s. I assume they were white wheels.
Thanks Bill! That's good info. So then my similar 15" wheels with the hubcap bumps are probably from an early '60's CJ5? That makes some sense based on where I probably got them from.

Okay, this doesn’t truly address the “hub Cap” bump issue, but rather a detail I found on 16 X 5 wheels I obtained and have had Powder Coated in red. Before sending these out for Media Blastingm I meausred the diameter of the “Pinstripe” that these original red wheels had. The rather wide (1/4”?) concentric circle was about 10” in diameter and blue. But since this wheel has been in the sun for over 70 years, the blue color was entirely faded. So does anyone have any decent information on what the particular blue was used by the factory to put this accent stripe on factory “Red” Willys PU wheels? And do I have the width right at 1/4”?

Mark L

Back