Converting a CJ5-CJ6, sheet-metal available?

Larry Edgerton

Bigger Hammer
Feb 18, 2018
Northern Michigan
First Name
Larry
Willys Model
  1. Other
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
Been driving my brothers CJ and I want more leg room. Thinking of stretching. Did not know exactly whet to search for, so if you all can herd me in the right direction or have personal experience I am all ears.

Thanks, Larry

If looking to stretch using 6 thoughts, there are no readily available body side panels other than complete CJ-6 tub that I can find. There are some articles out there when googling. I did see one on Pirate 4x4 site. the guy spliced a flat diagonal panel from back of door opening to in front of rear wheel opening. you will then have the floor to modify as well. will take some splicing and body panel skills. or toss for new tub. Then comes the frame extension which should be rather easy as early models had parallel frame rails compared to later models CJ's.

Sell it and get a cj7. Its less work and you want kill the value of the cj5. ;)

If looking to stretch using 6 thoughts, there are no readily available body side panels other than complete CJ-6 tub that I can find. There are some articles out there when googling. I did see one on Pirate 4x4 site. the guy spliced a flat diagonal panel from back of door opening to in front of rear wheel opening. you will then have the floor to modify as well. will take some splicing and body panel skills. or toss for new tub. Then comes the frame extension which should be rather easy as early models had parallel frame rails compared to later models CJ's.

I had found that article on Pirate. did not like the way he formed the lip at the top, but an old chunk of a tub would solve that. The side with the filler would be tough. I looked at the tubs, may as well just buy a 6 at that price. Which I may do if the right deal comes along. I thought maybe a copy of the factory add in panel you see on some was available as a start. Was actually thinking a new frame rather than using the old one stretched. When we resto-modded my brothers last winter I was thinking about it, but we dipped and painted the original.

Besides leg room, I want to be able to run down the road at the speed limit without prayers and total concentration. Had a few early CJ's, and I know their strengths and weaknesses. People are not very patient with old slow vehicles like they were when I was young, and they are seriously distracted. I want one with a bit better road manners than stock. The thing is an abandoned shell, and I don't care about original in this case.

Back