clutch adjustment on 3a

jayc1945

Knuckle Buster
Sep 13, 2010
Willys Model
Willys Year:
hey guys! i just joined and have question for ya,my '52 3a's pilot bushing is going out, and i'm going to have a new clutch & press. plate put in since its going to be torn apart.My friend who is going to do the work (i think?) said that the clutch needs adjusted after it's installed, but i swear i was told that they don't need it cause it should be automatically adjusted when its put in? is that right, or was that just the petal linkage or what? i'm not a mechanic but i want to be 100% on it befor he goes tearing into it and something "bad" happens, he was a mechanic but never did a willys, he claims it's like the clutch on an old ford tractor or something,? ANY HELP wil be GREATLY apreciated! THANKS!

Jay,
The adjustment is a piece O' cake. I think what he's telling you is that once he sets it up and it wears in a bit, you MIGHT want to re-adjust it. Normally, once a new clutch is adjusted you don't have to mess with them again for a long, long time. Some people however, always feel the need to tweek the adjust ment a bit more. It's a comfort level thing. Generally speaking you should have about 1" to 1.5" of pedal freeplay at the top of travel. If you like more or less that is up to you as long as you don't take it too far one way or the other.

Too much pedal play could make it hard to shift in to gear.
Too little play could cause premature wear of the clutch set up.

Just try to stick to the 1 - 1.5" and you'll be fine.
Steve

thanks steve! i appreciate the info!, but just to ease my mind,you're saying once the clutch and pressure plate are put in and the retaining clips removed, there's no adjustments other than petal freeplay? again, THANKS!

Back