Mike
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
  2. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1953
  2. 1955
Just acquired a 55 CJ-5.

I got a new tank, fuel pump, fuel lines and carb. My question is on the fuel pump lines. The line from the tank does that go into the “in” port and then the line going to the carb comes out of the other port? The lines seem to be way out in left field. The pump is a dual action however it doesn’t have vacuum wipers. Do must of you guys put in an in-line fuel filter?

I’ve attached photos showing my plumbing so far. The kit From Kaiser also had some flexible hoses not sure where they go.

Thanks for any assistance (photos, advise) etc....

22302E65-0D81-4039-AA8C-4E08A1B5BC5B.jpegDFE10B5B-33C6-42FE-AAEA-5722B1216DCB.jpegDD4E4AD9-8091-4B89-9AA2-E70F974BDEA8.jpeg

That is not how the factory lines went. The one from the tank crosses the top of the frame back by the master cylinder, As I recall and pops out and comes up by the inner fender well. The rubber (vibration) hose goes from the end of the hard line over to the fuel pump IN. I’ll see if I can find a pic. Also the line goes into the carb at a bend by the valve cover and pointing to the passenger side where it goes into the carb. It looks like you may have already bent your lines manually and put a crimp in? Originally they came with a glass bowl filter and no inline but over the years most added one. On mine, I ended up cutting the vibration line in two and inserted a filter until I get the glass bowl rebuilt

Here are pics:

Crossing frame. You can see where there is a clip it connects to

BFB7A784-7F7C-4641-83EA-665D42721519.jpeg

Now where it ends by inner fender well and vibration hose connects. Again thereis a clip.
1E3627F1-F065-4CC5-9C56-3223954D8A74.jpeg

Here is my loop and filter done as a temporary.

5B53A762-FA85-4F72-B927-997A713061F1.jpeg

And going into the carb.

73231F20-4EE9-4485-9CDF-462F20CED475.jpeg

Last edited:
After studying your pic, I’m pretty sure you have the pump to carb line 180 off. It tucks real tight to the block not sticking out. Try disconnecting and flipping it. There is also a connector the hold the vacuum and fuel line together in somewhat parallel just where it crosses the water pump before they split to carb vs manifold. As I recall.

I took the lines off and re-ran them, certainly fits better. Question about the hard line from the PCV that looks like it runs back to the fuel pump. Mine wasn't hooked up to anything and I’ve got two vacuum lines on the fuel pump that are open. Not sure what gets hooked up to those of anything. I’ve attached photos showing the fuel lines as they are now hooked up.

7D7721E1-F009-4CB3-9E37-342973BEA486.jpeg9E8FF93B-2AED-4F71-9076-27D292182F68.jpegA54BED86-293C-4F4E-9994-FE8929DA6A4F.jpeg

If you look at my pic of the filter, you can see the vacuum lines too. Basically, it comes out of the base of carb (or manifold I forget) with just a bent stub, then a small rubber vacuum connection (vibration break) back to a hard line that follows the fuel below the water pump (has the 2 line clip that holds the two lines together that I spoke about before) to the T that goes to the PVC and bolts into it. Another lines goes out the T and wraps around the fuel pump to a rubber vacuum line to the pump. The line closest to the block just has a rubber vacuum line going all the way to the fender (a clip) thru the firewall, under the dash, thru the dash (with a grommet) and up the windshield frame (with clips) to the wiper motors.

I hope that describes it enough, if not let me know an I’ll take more pics. I assume you also got the vacuum kit like you did the fuel one.

Last edited:
If you look at my pic of the filter, you can see the vacuum lines too. Basically, it comes out of the base of carb (or manifold I forget) with just a bent stub, then a small rubber vacuum connection (vibration break) back to a hard line that follows the fuel below the water pump (has the 2 line clip that holds the two lines together that I spoke about before) to the T that goes to the PVC and bolts into it. Another lines goes out the T and wraps around the fuel pump to a rubber vacuum line to the pump. The line closest to the block just has a rubber vacuum line going all the way to the fender (a clip) thru the firewall, under the dash, thru the dash (with a grommet) and up the windshield frame (with clips) to the wiper motors.

ok thanks for the help. I’ll see if I can hook up the vacuum line tomorrow

It’s not linked as much as it has a small dent in it. I’ve already removed it from the line......

Kink or dent I just noticed it was a few inches from the exhaust pipe and thought it might turn into a problem in the future.

I'm glad to hear you have it fixed.

Back