Chasis conversion

rcshook696

Bigger Hammer
Oct 27, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Willys Model
Willys Year:
I'm thinking of purchasing a 49 - 50 2 wheel dr. wagon. The wagon is unmolested at this time. It is still a 6 volt system. The frame is almost rusted thru, has holes in floor pan and one of the cab mounts is rusted real bad. It is a four banger. I would like to covert to a late model GM frame and running gear. I want it to be low to ground, but not dropped. What is my best donor vehicle? Would prefer to run SBC running gear with power steering and disk brakes. Ive heard of the s10's but none one has said what years, what body style the frame come from. I need to know more specifics so I know what to look for.Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I realize what you are looking for and the un-known challenges ahead. But think of this...what ever you use...how low to the ground have you seen that donor frame on the vehicle, example S-10...I've seen some nice lowered S-10's too. Personally I would use the S-10 as a donor; plenty available specialty items, plenty of clunkers & junkers out there cheap...any year you pick will probably be decided on the cost of the donor, so year doesn't matter. Whats the wheelbase for an S-10? How does that compare to the Willy's Wagon? And lastly...new body mounts and setting the body onto the donor frame can be played with without sacrificing. Just a word of CAUTION...when making modifications you are in un-chartered waters...just because one guy did it doesn't mean it has been done safely... I don't really care how a vehicle look's, but safely, well built is sound advise. Buy a camera so you can post pic's, I love pic's... Good Luck

I've considered a frame/chassis change on my '52. A 1991-2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2 door is 102.1" and a Willys station wagon is 104.5". Only a difference of 2.4" which I think wouldn't be noticable. Mine is an original 4x4 and at one time had a SBC installed, long before I purchased it, but have the trans adapter plate and some homemade mounts are welded to the frame. 52wagon

I PERSONALLY AM USING A 87 S10 FRAME UNDER A TRUCK PROJECT AND SEEMS TO BE A GOOD FIT I STARTED WITH A SHORT BOX REGULAR CAB FRAME SO I WILL END UP BOBBING DOWN MY BOX TO MAKE EVERYTHING COME OUT RIGHT SO I WOULD SAY I LIKE THE S10 PERSONALLY BUT KEEP IN MIND THEY OFFERED THEM WITH A FEW DIFFERENT WHEEL BASES SO DO YOUR HOME WORK BEFORE YOU BUY A DONAR CHASSY I ENDED UP USING A BELL TECH DROP KIT AS I WANT MINE REAL LOW AND A UNISTEER RACK KIT AS THE BIGGEST ISSUE I SEE IS THE STEERING BOX CLEARANCE AT GRILL I LOOKED AT THE WAY SOME GUYS DID THEM AND I DIDNT WANT THE STEERING BOX VISUAL SO I DID A BOLT IN RACK KIT

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR WANT MORE INFO OR PICTURES EMAIL ME DIRECT AND I WILL BE HAPPY TO HELP OUT

THANKS RYAN JEEPZZZZ@AOL.COM

Thanks for the replys! The purchase didn't go thru on the 49. I bought a 4X4 57 wagon yesterday. Its still on the trailer. Got to get pooltable out of garage to put inside. Previous owner purchased it and the repair panels, then decided it was to much to do I guess. I'm a chevy man so I like the ideal of the sbc in it. I need to gear it up faster as a daily driver. I don't really want to change chassis but the s10 (now a 4X4 s10 frame) might be best. I,m interested in a sbc adapter if someone has one that is reasonable. Thanks

Back