Careless Drivers = Crashed Willys

• Thread starter Deleted member 12393
  • Start date
Sorry to hear that happened to you. Glad your ok. My insurance company would only let me have liability, no collision or comprehensive on my 61' Willys wagon that I put a lot of time and money into. Classic car policies were to restrictive. No respect for the everyday, classic, hard working Willys. Hope you can repair the damage and the other person gets to pay for it.

Glad to hear you're not seriously injured.
I've had a few minor battles with insurance companies over the years, and I think that the best weapon is patience. They will always try to entice you into a cheap payoff by dangling "we can pay you today..." in front of you. In my (fairly limited) experience, all you have to do is make your case (in writing), tell them what they need to pay, and wait them out. Eventually, they will pay what they owe, just to get it off of some list somewhere.

Well folks - I wish I had better news this evening but my Friday afternoon did not go as planned. I was heading into NAPA to grab an engine belt and engine oil to tackle some weekend maintenance. Enroute, a driver failed to yield coming out of a private driveway and hit me on the front right of the truck and he kept on the gas and plowed me into a ditch, subsequently rolling me onto the drivers side. I saw, heard, and felt everything....and I'm still replaying it in my head as I type this. For me, I had to be aided out of the truck because I could hold the passenger door open and find something to step on to get out of the truck. I had to go to the ER to get checked out but I am home now, in pain not only from the injuries but at the loss of this beautiful truck. Everyone said that it can be replaced, but I think the folks in this forum know that this is not the type of vehicle you can just go and replace like a Honda Civic or other brand make / model. I don't know the full extend of the damage yet. Once the truck was upright, it went onto the back of a rollback and headed to the wrecker yard. I know that the impact snapped the right front leaf spring at both connection point, bent the front axle on both sides, sheetmetal damage all the way around, and broken glass.

I'm just at a loss for words now...I only had this truck for a few months and just had everything working - I even got the damn vacuum wipers to work thanks to @JEC for sending his wiper control cable. I don't know what's next but I appreciate everyone on this forum helping me get to enjoy this, even though it was for a short time.
So sorry. I know you must be devastated. I hope you get better soon.

Well folks - I wish I had better news this evening but my Friday afternoon did not go as planned. I was heading into NAPA to grab an engine belt and engine oil to tackle some weekend maintenance. Enroute, a driver failed to yield coming out of a private driveway and hit me on the front right of the truck and he kept on the gas and plowed me into a ditch, subsequently rolling me onto the drivers side. I saw, heard, and felt everything....and I'm still replaying it in my head as I type this. For me, I had to be aided out of the truck because I could hold the passenger door open and find something to step on to get out of the truck. I had to go to the ER to get checked out but I am home now, in pain not only from the injuries but at the loss of this beautiful truck. Everyone said that it can be replaced, but I think the folks in this forum know that this is not the type of vehicle you can just go and replace like a Honda Civic or other brand make / model. I don't know the full extend of the damage yet. Once the truck was upright, it went onto the back of a rollback and headed to the wrecker yard. I know that the impact snapped the right front leaf spring at both connection point, bent the front axle on both sides, sheetmetal damage all the way around, and broken glass.

I'm just at a loss for words now...I only had this truck for a few months and just had everything working - I even got the damn vacuum wipers to work thanks to @JEC for sending his wiper control cable. I don't know what's next but I appreciate everyone on this forum helping me get to enjoy this, even though it was for a short time.
sorry for your incident we were going to a car show one day in my 50 willys pickup and a guy pulled out of a school never looked in a hurry to get away from the kids luckly we did not get hit

My thoughts are with you ...Having a crash in a antique at 30 mph is like 50 or 60 in a modern car or truck...I had a 50 mph in a 59 ranchero...close equivalant to yours...It hurt bad..The pain goes away but the memories last longer..I wish your the best..

Sorry to hear about the crash. But glad to hear you're not badly injured. There are so many people out there driving totally distracted that I'm amazed we don't hear of more accidents like this.
My 64 Wagoneer was T-boned several years ago and pushed over an embankment and down into a ravine. I was sitting beside the road waiting for a friend with the hood up. I didn't even see the guy in the 3/4 ton Ford pick up, till his bumper came through my back door and window. He was laying on the floor with his 8 year old son because he lost control and had no seat belts, He just dove into the floor with his kid and let the truck go!
I think it's time for me to look into Hagerty agreed value insurance.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the crash. But glad to hear you're not badly injured. There are so many people out there driving totally distracted that I'm amazed we don't hear of more accidents like this.
My 64 Wagoneer was T-boned several years ago and pushed over an embankment and down into a ravine. I was sitting beside the road waiting for a friend with the hood up. I didn't even see the guy in the 3/4 ton Ford pick up, till his bumper came through my back door and window. He was laying on the floor with his 8 year old son because he lost control and had no seat belts, He just dove into the floor with his kid and let the truck go!
I think it's time for me to look into Hagerty agreed value insurance.
Hagerty was the first insurance company that I called. They have insurance requirements with storage and mileage. Since mine was a DD, I did not qualify.

I didn’t find their rules too harsh. Just garaged in normal garage, barn, pole structure, etc. I don’t think there is a mileage limit (or it was so heigh would not affect me) as long as was not your primary vehicle. And they have me scheduled for $5,000 of parts and as restoring. My prior company was much more restrictive, 6000 miles and only to or related to events, clubs, etc. and no parts and would not cover it while being restored, etc. So far I’ve been real happy with Haggerty, but the real answer is if you ever have a claim. My last company did treat me right on a claim.

Last edited:
glad to hear your fine. hope all goes well with everything. i would keep the truck and rebuild it looking a the pictures your going to need a hole new ish frame and any parts that bolt to the passenger side frame would need to be checked. body panels can be fixed by a good body shop and even some people on here. then swap it all on the new frame.

I didn’t find their rules too harsh. Just garaged in normal garage, barn, pole structure, etc. I don’t think there is a mileage limit (or it was so heigh would not affect me) as long as was not your primary vehicle. And they have me scheduled for $5,000 of parts and as restoring. My prior company was much more restrictive, 6000 miles and only to or related to events, clubs, etc. and no parts and would not cover it while being restored, etc. So far I’ve been real happy with Haggerty, but the real answer is if you ever have a claim. My last company did treat me right on a claim.
Hagerty treated me extremely well in my accident and it wasn't even my fault! They volunteered to handle everything.

My Allstate agent that I've had for 30+ years actually recommended Hagerty. He said he could sign me up in his office. all I had to do was supply current pictures of the cars, front, rear, sides and a picture of them in the garage or barn.

Just a question. Did you have seatbelts in your willys, if so did it help?
Yes, lap belts. Debatable whether or not they helped. On initial impact, I got thrown into the steering wheel which caused chest and abdominal injuries. After the rollover, I struggled getting them undone because I was essentially laying on the drivers side door.

Mike,
I wonder where you'd be today if you were on a motorcycle. Thank heavens you were in a stout Willys.

Because of having owned a pair of restored Chevy's for 20-years through the '80's, I for whatever reason asked my insurance agent how I should insure them. I have been using State Farm for 30-years. A long time relationship with them. Each restored collector vehicle is insured for Stated-Value is my understanding.
Because of having more than 5 vehicles insured, State Farm has me on "Fleet-rate" insurance.
Geeze-Louise, the way collector vehicle values have gone up, i may need to consider raising my coverage.
There is a Rod-Shop in Redding who does insurance appraisals for a fee, so that satisfies State Farm.

When 21-years old, I totaled a '57 Willys wagon because of operator error, and dead-centered a power pole at 30-mph.
The impact ripped the lap belt bolt from the floor, and my chest smacked the steering wheel cracking my brisket.
I chose to have a body shop straighten the frame, and found a solid front wrap, and axle assembly, and put it back on the road again. I believe that was my first auto-body painting experience.

This mishap right here is why I no longer ride motorcycles on the road.

Get a GOOD lawyer, find someone to appraise your truck that knows what it is...NOT the insurance company. Get your truck home out of the savage yard at some body shop. If you are hurt get a doctor. DO NOT BE NICE. The insurance company will not be nice. Stand up for yourself. The insurance will try to run over you. I won't post pictures but I have been where you are, it is not fun.

Back