Fletcher North Carolina
First Name
Will
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1962
'62 Wagon

Where can I get a cardboard heater box? It is square horizontal shape. It connects on the right to the fan, and the left side blows on the floor.

I have the top mounted plastic defrost piece and the cable connections.

Any ideas on finding or making one? ... The rats ruined the option for repair.

Thanks
Will(ys) Springer
o|||o

Greg5565

Well Oiled
Oct 3, 2013
Brentwood, TN
First Name
Greg
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
  2. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1963
  2. 1964
Hey Will,
I probably have a good heater box but the one I have would be metal. I will not be able to get to it until next Tuesday. if that works, I'll send you a pic. we can work out getting it to you.
Greg

willspring

Bigger Hammer
Apr 28, 2011
Fletcher North Carolina
First Name
Will
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1962
Hey thanks.

Were there options for cardboard and metal? Just curious why yours is metal and mine was cardboard.

What year model is yours?

Please send some photos before you remove your unit.

Thanks much Greg.

Optimistically
Will(ys) Springer
o|||o

Greg5565

Well Oiled
Oct 3, 2013
Brentwood, TN
First Name
Greg
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
  2. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1963
  2. 1964
I am pretty sure I have a few of the older cardboard units but I doubt they are in a very well preserved condition. You could possibly use one to fabricate a replacement out of sheet metal.

Regarding the metal box, my '63 wagon has a metal box and majority of what I've seen at least '60 and later were metal. I thought the metal box went back to '55 or '56.

Here are photos of a complete, metal unit. I also have just the elongated, metal diverter box (less the motor) out at the shop that I can get over the weekend. As I recall, it is complete with internal damper and spring. One of the vacuums is still on but the other, I removed because I had a broken seal on my original on the defrost.

Brentwood-20140829-00147.jpg

Brentwood-20140829-00148.jpgBrentwood-20140829-00149.jpg
The driveway should look familiar as I sent you some photos of rear bumper wraparounds via Facebook a few months back.
Greg

Pivnic

Well Oiled
Nov 24, 2009
Conifer, Colorado
First Name
John
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
Hello Will. My 57 Willys Pickup has a Card Board Heater duct work. What I did was straighten out the bent up cardboard ducts the best that I could, then I cut out sheet steel to match the outside of the ducts and attached them to the outside of the cardboard. It strengthened up the whole thing and works really good. Here is a pic of the whole inside heater box and it's duct work. I also connected the two defrosters hoses on top of the heater. Pivnic

Floyd 136 Finished  Heater Duct 007.jpg

brox

Gear Grinder
Sep 20, 2012
WA
First Name
Brock
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
My 60 truck came with a cordboard box. It disintegrated so i replaced with an the reproduction plastic unit from one of the willys vendors. The plastic unit fits and works ok, but the fit and finish is not the best. The diverting flap for defrost is pretty cheesy with no seal or gasket like the original cardboard unit.

CountryRoads

Bigger Hammer
Oct 5, 2011
Salt Lake City
First Name
Fred
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1962
I have a 1962 truck with the cardboard so unless someone replaced it, which seems unlikely, it's original. It's pretty beat up, but all still functions. I thought about making one from plastic but is it still works why replace it.

Nick

Bigger Hammer
Nov 19, 2013
Utah
First Name
Nick
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1959
Go to "E" bay and look at a 67 Mustang heater plenum. There close and cheep.

Nick

willspring

Bigger Hammer
Apr 28, 2011
Fletcher North Carolina
First Name
Will
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1962
Wow. I might go into the heater box consulting business. Since I have learned so much I may write a book, go on the road and build a website - all about heater cores. Nahhhhh

Thanks to all.

Optimistically
Will(ys) Springer
o|||o

Greg5565

Well Oiled
Oct 3, 2013
Brentwood, TN
First Name
Greg
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
  2. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1963
  2. 1964
We learn something with every question and answer. I think it's safe to say..."replace the cardboard".
Let me know if you need the diverter box.

gnj39110

Bigger Hammer
Nov 13, 2013
Madison Mississippi
First Name
Gary
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1959
Greg,
I would be interested if you have a cardboard heater box that would be in good enough shape to use as a pattern.