Citrus Heights & Tahoe
First Name
Greg
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1954
Doing a frame off..
Need to pull cab from frame, everything is ready to go...Do I need to remove tranny and transfer case shift levers or is there a secret to removing cab without lever removal?

If I do need to remove tranny shift lever is there anything special to know here? Manuals are not too explicit...remove shift lever housing and then the lever....are there any gremlins hiding in there? Will the spring pop out? Do I need to remove interlock plunger? Will it go back together easily?

Thanks

Homewood,
remove the levers. It's easy and will take no time.
1. Remove the floor cover.
2. Put the Xfer case in neutral.
3. Put the trans in neutral.
4. Remove the six bolts from the trans cover and pull the cover with lever straight up with some wiggling. (cover the open case.)
5. Loosen the little square head bolt on the side of the twin stick boss.
6. Pull the shaft out, the levers and the pill.
Your done. Piece O' cake.

About the pill:
It's there to prevent low gear without 4WD engagement. In other words...with the pill installed you absolutely can not use low gear unless you engage the front axle. If you choose not to reinstall the pill; you can use low gear in two wheel drive. I consider this a plus, but opinions vary.

Putting it back together is a snap. The toughest part is keeping the spring tabs in place on those twin sticks, but not a big deal.

Take pictures of everything before you perform an removals if you're not comfortable. I am positive you won't have any trouble and the removal of these items will only make your life easier.
Steve

Thanks for the input Aqua...will give it a try in about a week.
Like the idea of leaving the pin out...what are drawbacks?

I have yet to discover any draw backs to this. I think some folks are opposed to it because they just don't understand it. I classify this under:
To each his own.

Sometimes it's just kinda cool to pop in to low gear to crawl out of something that you don't need 4wd for. :)

I have taken my cab on and back off by myself several times during my complete rebuild. I put a nylon tow strap through the door openings about 4 inches to the rear of the front pillar. This is the balance point. I lift it off with a chain hoist. You can leave the tranny shifter on, and the pedals, you just have to be able to lift it higher. I took the 4wd levers off. Hope this helps.
Eric

Thanks for tips....
Wife won't let me work in driveway...something about the neighbors....living in the 'burbs has it's drawbacks.
Garage has 8' ceiling so no room to hoist. Will "hire" my son and his fronts to help left it off after removing tranny and transfer levers.....
now just where to put it after its off...I don't think her car will be allowed to be outside...

For some neighborly humor and because raising chickens in the back yard seems to be the thing to do now, perhaps it could be your chicken coop for the winter? Or would it turn into your dog house? Enjoy your build!

Maybe set the bed outside in the back yard upside down on blocks, set the cab on boards where the bed was. You can shuffle it back and forth to work on the frame.

I built a frame machine so I could spin the frame around (like a rotissere). Made it real easy to sandblast and paint.

How far apart are you taking yours down?
Eric

Everythings off except cab. That's next , then tow frame to car wash for good warm bath...
The bed is setting upside down on the bed of my Powerwagon. Fenders and gate come off bed next...
The body parts then to painter $$ permitting and the selection of color(s) while I POR15 frame and topcoat.

Attachments

• power wagon.jpg
    power wagon.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 110
  • Willys3.gif
    Willys3.gif
    17 KB · Views: 111
Why not paint it yourself? It is not that hard. I have never painted before, and so I joined a painting forum and taught myself. The money you save easily will pay for the tools.

Attachments

• Cab-reassembly-001.jpg
    Cab-reassembly-001.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 107
  • Cab-reassembly-004.jpg
    Cab-reassembly-004.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 106
  • Red-Paint-Interior-001.jpg
    Red-Paint-Interior-001.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 106
BioTex said:
Why not paint it yourself? It is not that hard. I have never painted before, and so I joined a painting forum and taught myself.

Sounds like a perfect Tech Week write-up... :mrgreen:

Nice job on the paint. I've thought about self performing...painted enough houses in my day but not the same...
Two car garage doesn't have much room to work/sand/spray without covering everything else in garage with dust and overspray.
May reconsider though...What is name of paint forum?
Does it have good info on prep/priming/paint products/spray techniques and equip/sanding and buffing?

I have painted in alot less than a two car garage. to paint my wifes car at our old house I had to put the car on those wheel dollys that let you push the car sideways. I would spray one side, push it over, then do the other side. Otherwise I could not stand back far enough to paint.
To cut back on overspray I bought one of those big rolls of plastic and stapled it up along the top of the wall all the way aroundto cover all the tools and stuff and to keep dust down.[attachment=1:36o1h0pz]corvair photo for Jesse.JPG[/attachment:36o1h0pz]
This whole car was done in that little 1 car garage.[attachment=0:36o1h0pz]Copy of geese, jinx, billetproof, thicket & tommy in a bucket 039.jpg[/attachment:36o1h0pz]

Attachments

• corvair photo for Jesse.JPG
    corvair photo for Jesse.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Copy of geese, jinx, billetproof, thicket & tommy in a bucket 039.jpg
    Copy of geese, jinx, billetproof, thicket & tommy in a bucket 039.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 35
oldpeople2 said:
Nice paint job. What set up are you useing to paint with. Gun, compresser?

Trying to figure out for sure who this question is directed to since I didn't start the thread, I don't want to hijack it.

I used a craftsman siphon feed pot sprayer. I have a HVLP gravity feed, but I like the 20 year old craftsman mostly because I'm used to it.

My compressor is a Cambel Hausfield. It sits up about 4 ½ feet high, but could not tell you the specs off the top of my head. It puts out a lot of air. Plenty for using a DA or spraying.

I guess its all a matter of time too. I work 50+ a week so finding time to get it all done without it taking 10 years is important. Have two other project cars in line, too. Guess I'll die finishing one of them...at least I'll go with a smile on my face!

Back