Cab Mounting Springs

Snake Doctor

Gear Grinder
Apr 21, 2010
Central Arkansas
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Does anyone know of a source for the cab mounting springs as shown in these pictures?:

210mszb.jpg

2mhess5.jpg

Snake,

Is this an OEM setup?

I cannot tell the dia/length of the springs but the first thing that comes to mind is valve springs would work.

That said I am not sure this setup is a great idea unless there is some kind of unique and or specific purpose behind it. I would also wonder if it even works? The long bolts and springs on the underside will only allow the body to violently shift in the event of a major impact of some kind. In addition the springs only work when or if the body is separated vertically from the frame...is that the purpose??? :?:

Don - the gentleman that has this vehicle thinks this is a OEM set up. He has one of the finest restorations I have seen. That said, I agree with your assessment. Would like to know if this is original set up or not.

Check out all the pics at the link. I am sure you will agree a first class frame off restoration:

http://www.jeep-trucks.com/assets/images/

I used Valve springs on mine . They are designed to allow for frame twist and to keep the wheels on the ground at all 4 corners .These days its done with suspension

For all who peruse this thread I highly recommend you view his link to the pics. Whether you are doing a resto or a resto-mod there are lots of great closeups of detailed parts such a wiper cable/motor setup that will help ANYONE who thinks like me...I am visual and need to see how its put together then I can do it. Well worth you viewing time and you can also download the pics.

Well if that is an OEM setup and I don't doubt anyone here then not sure what to say about other than I will pass on it and I have a difficult time seeing how it performs very well... :?: :eek: :shock: I would doubt the engineer that came up with this had a long career at Willy's.

SavageSun Willys said:
For all who peruse this thread I highly recommend you view his link to the pics. Whether you are doing a resto or a resto-mod there are lots of great closeups of detailed parts such a wiper cable/motor setup that will help ANYONE who thinks like me...I am visual and need to see how its put together then I can do it. Well worth you viewing time and you can also download the pics.

Well if that is an OEM setup and I don't doubt anyone here then not sure what to say about other than I will pass on it and I have a difficult time seeing how it performs very well... :?: :eek: :shock: I would doubt the engineer that came up with this had a long career at Willy's.

I agree, I just seen these the other day while I was laying under mine taking the bed off. I'm sure it seemed like a good idea in the fifties but I'm also sure theres a good reason that mine is the only truck I've ever seen with this set up. I will most likely be going back with something a little more up to date :thumbup:

Every pickup I have seen has the springs, this is a pic from the service manual.

Attachments

• scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 111
Now that is a hoot...That said and going with the explanation that the allows the 'Cab' to set firm while the frame flex's. This leads me to believe that the frame on these rigs must flex like a Willow tree in the wind...which is my estimation screams for a frame replacement scheme.

The frames must have been made out of OLD licorice sticks.

For a resto project fine, but for a DD, occasional off road rig and a highway traveler the frame just does not come up to enough standards IMO and safety is one of them. I can understand now why they geared these things so low. Top speed is about 50 MPH and as Ralph Nader* said: 'Unsafe at any speed'.

*Back in my college days RalphY came to my college to give a speech. I was contacted by the Dean to see if I would have lunch with him...sure, why not. Just got back from Vietnam the year before, drove a 450 HP 427 Chevy Corvette and had been a drag racer for 2 years leading up the time I was drafted into the Army. Yea, maybe me and RalphY can talk cars :shock: :lol: Fine lunch I had too ;) So after spending about 1 1/2 hours with the guy I came away thinking...this guy is a friggen nut job. Time has proven me correct :lol:

For you youngun's: Ralph Nader was and still is a extreme liberal lawyer who wrote a book ( 'Unsafe at any speed') which led to the demise of the Chev Corvair. He has championed meany far left causes over the years and was NOT a supporter of Vietnam either.

On my pickup, I tossed the springs and used rubber pads from Walck's, that was 4 years ago, both above and below the mount bracket. I use the pickup 2-3 times a week to run errands and transport stuff around the property, so far it is holding up just fine. I did weld reinforcement plates beneath the brackets as shown in the pic in my earlier post, both brackets were cracked loose when I bought the truck.

wally72 said:
Every pickup I have seen has the springs, this is a pic from the service manual.

Just wanted to clarify that the manual talks about adding reinforcement due to stress cracks from rough roads. They advise to add some metal. The picture shows where to add.

Back