Jul 2, 2022
Texas
First Name
Justin
Willys Model
  1. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1955
I just put new brake shoes and rotor on a 1955 willys cj5 and took it for a drive and when i let off the gas i stop it doesn't roll. Its like i have the brakes on at all times.
Was wondering what to do because this model doesn't appear to have an adjustment thing for the brake shoes. They are 9 inch rotors if that is any help

I'm confused; Are you using the correct terminology to describe your problem? A '55 CJ5 would have 9" drums and shoes, not discs (rotor), and pads. If you do indeed have discs you'd need to find out what vehicle they were adapted from and use that info to troubleshoot. On my rear discs, adapted from a Dodge Trail Duster and various GM cars, I use GM pads that need to be ground down to fit. Maybe your adaptation needs a similar modification. If they're stock drums and shoes, then it sounds like you didn't adjust them properly (it's spelled out clearly in the manual, but most people tend to use that process as a guide rather than Gospel) or the master cylinder is being heated by the hot weather and exhaust system and the expanding fluid is pressuring the brakes.

There's a free manual right here. Click on the https://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum/index.php?resources/ (Resources) tab up above, then choose

Service Manual- Models CJ-2A, CJ-3A, CJ-3B, CJ-5, CJ-6, and DJ-3A​

then download it and go to section P especially page 226 and 227 where it explains about turning/adjusting the eccentrics.

Back